Thursday, November 7, 2013

Triangle Thursday #26


Ribbon Quilt
This design is number 1160 in Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. It is attributed to Nancy Page.  Look for the printer friendly version here. 


Cutting directions are for 6”
Fabric
Number to cut
6”
Triangles –
8 green,
8 red
Use the 2” template.  Or cut 4 green  sqs., 4 red squares at 3”. Draw a line down the center and sew ¼” from each side, trim to 2 1/2” unfinished. If you have trouble making half triangle squares cutting the squares slightly larger helps to make more accurate units.   
Square
1 green
2 1/2”

Make half square triangles:  Sew the  red and green triangle sections together. I actually cut 4 squares of each color, paired the red and green squares together. and then sewed ¼” from the center diagonal line I drew.  Cut the squares diagonally after you sew the two sides. I pressed my triangle squares to the red triangles.  If you are using a light and dark fabric I suggest you iron to the dark fabric. After you iron the seam, trim up your squares to 2 ½” squares.  You will end up with 8 red/green squares. 




Layout all the pieces as shown above.  Be careful to keep the half triangle units going the correct direction when you sew them together. Sew the blocks into rows.  I ironed the center row seams to the plain block and the top and bottom rows away from the center. Then sew the rows together. 



This makes a great quilt all by itself.  The ribbon look is enhanced with several blocks together.  I only need 3 more blocks for my little quilt – so look for more blocks in red/green/yellow and rust. 







Happy Quilting All! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.