Friday, September 26, 2014

It's Official!

Pat and I are proud to announce that we (and the bank) are proud owners of a house in the Village of Nags Head as of yesterday evening.  Within a couple hours of closing the lock box and the for sale sign were gone!  It's been cloudy and windy the last two days -- this was taken when we were first looking at it.   We're doing some minor repairs and clearing out stuff that was left by the previous owner that we don't want.  We'll be putting it into a rental program beginning in the spring.


I'm getting ready for my fall quilting retreat.  During the June retreat my friend Nancy shared her "always ready" box.  I took some pictures and thought I would share what's in her box that she just grabs and goes. 



I'll let you know what's still in the box after I tell you what she has spread out so we can see it. 

From left to right -- a paper bag for trash, excess threads etc; rotary cutter in a case; needle threader, the silver instrument with a slight hook is a seam ripper; pins; small ruler especially useful for determining 1/4"; plastic straw which she puts over the spindle of her featherweight to hold bigger spools of thread upright; a pointed stick; a Purple Thang; a small ruler; an emery board; a brush for cleaning the bobbin area of your sewing machine; mechanical pencil or possibly a pen; two different pairs of scissors -- one is probably just for snipping thread and the other is for close cutting of appliqué piece; a magnet and a turning stick.


And inside the box from the back left around clockwise to the front left.   A screw driver; something in the silver pouch that I remember being pretty cool but I can't remember what it was; a chalk marking pencil, finger nail file, loose chalk marking pen, emery strawberry, extra sewing machine needles; pencil sharpener, hand sewing needles (in the wooden case); a door peep hole to check your design from a distance when you don't have much room; thread net; a measuring gauge; a rubber needle puller and again, I have no idea what was in the white square plastic case.

I take many of the same things that Nancy does but mine are not grab and go.  I do have a case I can grab and go for my featherweight but not for the Bernina.  What I do have is a list in Excel that I have worked on over the years that helps me remember things I might not remember.  I print it out a week or so before any sewing trip and add and subtract from the list based on what I am planning on working on.  

Thanks Nancy for sharing your box of goodies ready for any sewing trip! Wish you were going with me next week. What are your favorite tools to take on a retreat or quilting class?  While I'm retreating next week Pat and the dogs will be here at the beach.  We've had gloomy weather so far but the sun has just come out with blue skies. It's time to sit on the front porch! 


I'm looking forward to some quilting retreats to the beach house over the next months.  I need to get myself organized and set up some dates!  Of course there is so much here to distract a person from quilting.  I'm proud to say I have gotten stuff done on my wild dog appliqué blocks along with some general house cleaning and figuring out what is where.  It is interesting to buy a furnished house to say the least!  

Happy Quilting All!   



5 comments:

  1. I want to see photos of the house when it's ready to rent. I love the Outer Banks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you!! I'm jealous and very happy for you and Pat. Pretty sure the white plastic thingy in the box is a tape measure. See you Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at the retreat. I have never done that, but would like to. Are you guys going to use the house at all or just rent it out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!

    What kind of view does it have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great place for retreats. Enjoy your retreat this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.