Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Stash Busting Report August - 2014

FINALLY!  I used more fabric than I acquired during the month of August.  In going over the year so far, I've had very few months where I used more fabric than I acquired.  Hopefully this trend will be continued.  


2014
Fabric In Month
Fabric in Year
Fabric Out Month
Fabric Out Year
Total In or Out Year
August
3.250
75.50
7.375
42.75
-29.50


I have 5 or 6 quilts in my closet waiting to be quilted and finished.  With the upgrade to Ruthie I hope to get several of these quilts loaded, quilted and then bound before the end of September.  I have a few quilts that I still need to figure out the backing but I know I have several that have the backing ready to go.  

Yesterday I got the last of the sashing on my Dresden basket quilt.  I don't want this too large so it may be done.  What do you think?  Does it need a border on it or does it look done at this point?


I'm thinking I'll use a black binding with it which should help to make it seem finished.  Opinions? Um, maybe not as I lose the cornerstones on the outside.  I'm not sure I like this. Do you think it needs a small border? If any, I'd think of about 1 1/2" finished.  The places I could hang it have fairly small quilt racks and I'm afraid the sides will droop if it is much bigger. 


So how about the same orange fabric? Um, or any color except the turquoise?  


I'm not sure I like that either.  I guess I need to do some thinking about this before I commit to anything.  Maybe the olive green.  I need to figure out the backing too.  The two or three pieces I tried were too small. I sure would like to use one piece of fabric for this!  But if need be, I can piece it.  So, share your thoughts in the comments.

Thanks for your opinions.  I've made a lot of progress on two of my goals for the week.  I am nearly ready to sew the last four rows of the mystery quilt together.  I purchased fabric for a small and large border this past month so I am good to get this quilt a top and off of the design wall! 

I'm steadily working on my sock which I showed before I ripped it all out. (See the horrible details here!) I'm trying to do a bit every night so it won't take so long to catch up to where I was.  I've got a plan for a UFO sweater and would like to start on it but don't want to until I have this pair of socks finished.  Fellow knitters -- Do you have any really good book for knit beanie-style caps that fit all head sizes from toddlers to adults?  I'm in the mood to use up some yarn stash and thought that might be a good way to do it.  Plus, Christmas is coming!  Thanks for your suggestions. 

Happy Quilting All! 



4 comments:

  1. Orange binding? I think the black cornerstones will pop with orange around them. Also, what's the link for the hearts quilt? I couldn't find the pattern on quiltville. Is it a hearstrings pattern? Thanks! Stephanie from FCQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a scrappy binding with all the colors (or fabrics) used in the baskets would give it a finished look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a narrow border made from the background fabric, then the orange binding would finish it off nicely. That way the middle of the quilt will "float" in the middle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.