Sunday, July 9, 2017

Monday Meandering 7 - 10 - 2017

Do you have weeks where you don't feel very motivated to sew?  Or do much of anything?  That's what this week has been for me.  I was busy most of two days so I couldn't go to the studio.  The rest of the time I was all ho hum... don't really feel like hitting the studio all that much.  I did make some progress but nothing spectacular.

I did load the backing for the A Tisket, A Tasket quilt.  But once I figured out how I was going to quilt it I realized I didn't have a wide enough piece.  I have an 18" long arm so I can only do long passes of the machine on the width.  My solution is super easy although a bit time consuming.  I quilt the top except for the lengthwise borders.  Then I remove the quilt from the machine and reload it turned a quarter turn and I can finish the long borders.  It works well unless I don't have a wide enough backing.  And, I don't -- I bought only one length of fabric.    Because I still want to quilt the borders separately I decided I needed to augment the width.  I won't actually need the width as part of the backing; I just need it to attach to the long arm.  My solution is adding two 6 1/2" pieces to the sides of the backing.  I used a bigger stitch to attach them to the backing so they will be easy to remove when I'm done. 

Hopefully, I'll reload the backing and then add the batting and the top and actually start to quilt A Tisket, A Tasket.  Time will tell! 

As you might expect, I didn't do so well on my goals this past week.  Yes, I did do some hand quilting -- maybe three 18" threads worth.  It looks like I did nearly everything on the list but honestly, I don't feel like I got much done. Sigh. 

July 3, 2017
Stitch Grid Lock quilt together only started
Keep hand quilting on Civil War Quilt
Load and quilt A Tisket, A Tasket quilt didn’t happen
Make a couple of giant flying geese blocks

July 10, 2017
Continue stitching Grid Lock together
Keep hand quilting on Civil War Quilt
Start quilting A Tisket, A Tasket quilt
Make a fabric box
Iron the applique flowers on to the wallhanging

I don't have much to share today -- I didn't do all that much this week.  But I'm sure lots of folks across the Internet got some wonderfully inspiring projects worked on.  I'm linking up with Monday Making, Main Crush Monday and Moving It Forward. 

Hopefully I'll be more enthused to be working in the studio this week. I am enthused because a hummingbird has actually been spotted on our deck recently.  Of course, I didn't see him but I'm hoping he keeps coming back.  Tomorrow I'll clean the feeder and put fresh nectar in so maybe he'll come to visit again. 

Happy Quilting All!  Bonnie 

9 comments:

  1. Yikes! It hope it is less work and less complicated than it sounds. Recently we have spotted hummingbirds in our garden too. Always exciting to see the little fellows. I hope you get your creative excitement back soon, love seeing your work :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading how you make things work for you on the longarm. It makes me understand why the extra fabric that QOV volunteer quilters require is needed.

    Wishing you a good week in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have days like that a lot and it seems like more often recently. Not sure why.... I wondered if adding an extra strip to the backing would work. I've had a couple of quilts given to me to work on that wouldn't fit on the longarm because the back wasn't big enough. It's good to know that I can use your method as a fix. I hope you'll find some motivation this week - sending positive quilty thoughts your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you find your mojo, Bonnie. I know how frustrating that feels. Your work-around to extend the quilt makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you just need a few days away from the routine of your sewing space. Hoping your mojo is back this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good solution to your problem. I think the heat of summer zaps a lot of my energy making it hard to get motivated to sew sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie,
    It was a holiday week, and if you don't feel like quilting you shouldn't do it. Then it becomes a chore - and who needs more chores?! Take a break and motivation will soon return. {{Hugs}} Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be something in the air - I've felt it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrappy Gridlock is a beauty!!! A break can be very refreshing and energizing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.