Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Monday Meanderings 8 - 24 - 2026

Has school gone back in session where you live? Our county started August 11th! Yep several weeks ago.  When I was an elementary library Media Specialist the staff would start working two weeks before Labor Day. The kids would come the week before Labor Day.  Starting the second week of August just seems weird to me -- it's still summer. On the other hand, they will be out by May 28. So are your kids or grandkids in school now?  Does that mean you have more time or less time to sew? Or doesn't it make a difference? 

Here are my goals from last week.  I did ok but really didn't get as much done as I would have liked. 

8/17/26

✅Quilt one of my quilts — sea life baby top quilted. 

✅Plan projects for in-home retreat in NC — I’ve got about 5 but may add or subtract from that number. 

Start sewing the Idiom Challenge project — no sewing done. 

✅Make more blocks for July UFO — all blocks made - maybe

Make Marigold Mystery blocks — nothing done

Continue hand quilting fall applique blocks — 1.5 are left to quilt around. 

I'm not sure why I didn't whip through all these goals.  I did spend some time reading but I don't think I read all that much! Not a lot of pictures of what I did get done. 


This is what I'm calling Sea Life. I started calling it sea creatures and decided it showed a lot more than just that.  I purchased the fabric as a kit years ago. Do you remember Craftsy? That's where I got it from.  I don't remember what the kit was actually for in terms of a pattern. I think I made a wall hanging with the same fabric a couple of years ago but I couldn't find a picture of it.  So, maybe I didn't! 

I used navy blue So Fine thread and Curly long arm design by My Creative Stitches. Here's a close up of the stitching. The red fabric near the bottom right corner was also used for the backing. Except I didn't have enough so I added some light grey fabric evenly spaced in between two sections of the red.  The binding is going to be navy blue.  I prefer a darker binding mainly because it will hide dirt that might get on it. This quilt will be donated to one of the local hospitals NICU.  


The July UFO was a 12" fall block and a few 6" blocks also in fall colors some of which were from the same line.  I've been trying to make more 6" blocks and finally got the number I need done.  And, I'm underwhelmed by the top so far.   I've added a 3" borders around the 12" block. I figure 6" would work around that border.  Every time I look I see too white backgrounds on some of the blocks. I'm not particularly excited about it so far.  What do you think? If I remember correctly I'm out or nearly out of the yellow with the little brown flowers that I used with many of the blocks.  I don't particularly like the basket on the white background on the left. The other three blocks with white are the same beige fabric but different from the basket. I think I might need to replace the block with the white background with some other block using the beige background. Or?  Any suggestions.  I'd like to get this to about 36 by 42 or so as then it could be used as wheelchair quilt. I'll probably need another row of blocks or ?? on the top and bottom plus add 3" borders around the whole thing. I have no idea what fabric I would use at this point. I have some of the dark brown left but not much. Most of this fabric was actually fat quarters. I won it from a gal who had been making samples with the fabric many, many years ago. Those were the days when I won quite a few things while reading people's blogs. 


So my thoughts right now is to add something on the top and bottom that will be 3" total. Then figure out a 3" border for all around. Of course, that would be after I decide about that white background on the basket! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Here are my goals for this coming week.  I will be down in North Carolina at my friend Sharon's house.  The current list "looks" doable while I'm down there but who knows. I may add one or two extra projects in case I run into a problem.   

8/24

Enjoy in house retreat at Sharon’s

Make Marigold Mystery blocks

Start sewing idiom challenge top

Finish sewing string quilt together

Bind sea creatures quilt and fall appliqué


I've continued my 15 minutes of stitching every day.  Usually a lot more! Here's the stats. 


Week ending 8/23/26: 235 days of 2026.

 234 stitching days out of 235 days 99.5%


I've also been sewing blocks for the most recent FCQ Equilter's turn.  I'll be taking these and a few more down to Sharon this week.  I may end up stitching a few that are already cut out down at her house. 



The block came from this year's Sewcialites 3 blocks.  It's #17 by Sandy Gervais.  It's an easy block to make -- it takes longer to cut than to sew if you ask me. I think I have 3 more cut out and fabric chosen for another one. Sharon will be making kids quilts with most of them.  

Monday begins singing season again.  The Spotsylvanians have their first rehearsal that evening.  I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends too.  I've enjoyed my free Monday evenings but I've been missing singing.  


So now is when I post all the Linky Parties and ask you to visit them.  Consider yourself asked! 


Stitching Time 

Oh Scrap

Quilting Patchwork Applique 

Design Wall Monday

Monday Musings

 

I'm ready to call it quits tonight. Oops. I wanted to name the book I really enjoyed this last week.  It is The Correspondent by Virginia Evans. It was an unusual way to read a story as all of it was mail or notes.  I know I was drawn into the story quite quickly and finished it within a couple of days. 

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

12 comments:

  1. I agree the block with white stands out to much. As for where to go after these blocks are attached, how about a small border and then make triangle in a triangle block like I did here https://knitbug2.blogspot.com/2025/08/done-and-almost-done.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, school is in session here in Colorado, too - over the years the start date has crept up earlier and earlier. Then it's so hot, they have had to end school two hours early several times because the buildings get too warm! Sept 1st or right around Labor Day makes more sense to me. Have fun at your friend's house! That is a neat block you're working on - it looks complicated, but after zooming in, I see how it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of the blocks you are working on--so nice to get things to the finish line! Have fun with your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the second year My Girl has not started classes in the fall. It was weird last year, but seems normal this year. Though it is weird to think she's been working for a year in just a couple of weeks. I agree the basket needs a darker background, that white is just too noticeable against the rest. You could add a narrow red or brown border around what you have now. If you want to add blocks across the top and bottom, look for a darker beige/tan for the backgrounds in those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My chorus (Women of Heartsong) has its hiatus-ending get-together this Monday night, then rehearsals start up again two weeks later. I feel the same way about it--I enjoy having a "whole" Monday in which to do whatever I like, yet I'm checking the chorus website frequently to see if there's any new music I can start working on. The Holiday Season will be upon us in no time!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes I remember Craftsy I still have fabric put away from the sales :) school started and my son in law's niece has injured her ankle in sports already

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replace the. White one and put the four beige blocks in the corners. Then it looks like a design choice. You could also tea or coffee dye the light ones to tone down the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty blocks, Bonnie. The basket block background looks a bit too white to me. Can you use the light background blocks in the corners? No school kids in the family, schools were on here August 17th.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot going on, Bonnie! I agree about the whitish blocks. You could definitely try tea or coffee dying so that white doesn't pop out so much. I like what you are doing with it otherwise. Our schools started same day as you. Since the senior drives the her brothers and they all go to the same school, we don't have much evening taxi service. One is on the tennis team and he practices at the high school, so he's already there. I'm sure when swim meets start back with the other two, who drive to the Y for practice, we might have to pick him up occastionally, but other than that it doesn't really affect my sewing time like when I had to sit in carline in the afternoons! But sometimes I miss those days and the sweet hugs. Have a great week at your retreat in NC. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are beautiful, I like them all! I agree, the white one is a little too bright. The school year in France will start on 1st September, kids are on vacations since the first week of July. Have fun at the house retreat! Thank you for sharing and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. School started here in Kansas on the 13th. Seemed pretty early to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. School has always started the day after Labor Day, related to our state fair which is a pretty big deal in Minnesota and farm work, but last year they changed the start of school to the week before Labor Day.

    Cute Curly quilting!!! I think a lot of us have Craftsy fabric and thread hanging around still. They had some super good sales!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.