Thursday, January 19, 2017

2016 Year-End Stashbusting Statistics

For many years I've recorded fabric that comes in and goes out of my stash.  This year my tracking was hit or miss.  Ok, so I tried but can't guarantee I've recorded every thing coming in or going out.  It is what it is. The last time I reported was in mid November for July.  Now I realize how bad a year it was for using stash.   So first up are the stats since July. (Hey, I was really behind!) 

2016
Fabric In Month
Fabric in Year
Fabric Out Month
Fabric Out Year
Total In or Out Year
Aug
 4.125
 67.00
 0.5
 33.00
-34.00
Sept
12.625
 79.875
 0.75
 34.375
-45.50
Oct
  0.0
 79.875
 5.75
 40.125
-39.75
Nov
  3.50
 83.375
 4.00
 44.125
-39.25
Dec
  0.0
 83.375
11.25
 55.375
-28.00












Pretty pitiful fabric usage. I was working on things during these months but not very much was finished and what was finished were small pieces.  One way I motivate myself to actually finish an item is it has to be done completely before I count the fabric as being used.  I'm not doing so well with labeling my quilts recently but at least the bindings are done. That said, here's what last year looked like overall and how it compares to previous years. 


Year
Fabric In
Fabric Out Year
Total In or Out Year
2010
  65.00
70.250
  13.000
2011
186.5
72.00
114.500
2012
113.545
108.970
    4.575
2013
100.71
103.015
    2.305
2014
108.25
  79.75
  28.500
2015
 66.205
 77.150
  10.945
2016
 83.375
55.375
  28.00















This is the lowest I've ever been on fabric going out.  Coming in could have been a lot worse so overall I'm not too upset.  Finishing Christmas Favorites was really helpful to my overall stats.  I'm going to try to keep up better this year.  I blame my neglect on the move...too much needed to be done. Watch out folks -- I have a large number of quilt tops ready to be quilted so I may have a mega "out" year.  Don't I wish! 

Here's a shot of one of my projects given at Christmas.  My daughter-in-law had asked if I could get or make an apron for her that she could use in the lab.  (Um, did I happen to mention she works in the ballistics lab for the FBI? Yea, she does.  When there are big shootings she and/or some of her colleagues might be called on to process the crime scene.) 



I got the design from Urban Threads. You can see the design better there.  It's called Baroque Punk Revolvers.  I tend to call it guns and roses.  Aimee LOVED it! She likes the design, the pockets and the dark color which will hide the dirt and grease that get on her clothes when she is working.  I also gave her a bottle of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover to help with the dirt. I have always had really good luck with this product. I'll let you know if Aimee has good results getting gun grease out of clothing. 

That's it for me today.  I'm linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday. Hope you can spend some time checking out all the wonderful blogs quilters are posting. 

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday Meanderings 1 - 16 - 2017

It's hard for me as a retiree to realize (remember?) that today is a national holiday in honor of a great man -- Martin Luther King.  He help change America for the better.  I hope his ideas continue and expand across our country.  Here's a King quote that really resounds with me.  And, it isn't too bad when applied to our quilting.

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

With that said I'm moving on to what I've done this past week. I did get a baby quilt loaded on Ruthie and quilted.  I used Tangled Yarn edge to edge design and Connecting Threads' Essential Pro thread. I don't use much of Essential Pro any more but the color was perfect.  I love how it turned out.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the finished quilt before I donated it through Country Piecemakers to St. Francis Hospital's Nicu. 

Almost finished!  I added a black binding to finish the whole quilt off. 
And here's a closeup of Tangled Yarn.  I really like this pattern.  It covers the area but isn't very dense.  I prefer less dense quilting and this fits the bill. 


The jungle print was left over from at least one other quilt, maybe two. I can't remember if this used it all up or not.  You may see it again in some quilt down the line if it didn't.

I also embroidered my sweatshirt that I had been wanting to do.  I used Snow Baroque - Snowflake from Urban Threads. It only used three colors and I was very happy I had the perfect colors of purple along with white to do this. I had to lower my stitching speed to stop the thread breakage though.  I was using rayon thread and I think poly would have been stronger.  Even though it was way over an hour of just stitching time, I do like the end result. 
  On to my weekly goals. Last week I got so much done.  I'm hoping I am as focused this week and get lots of my projects worked on. Look at that! Every single thing has been checked off on my list last week. 
January 9th, 2017
Load and quilt one baby quilt
Knit on my UFO sweater
Embroider my sweatshirt
Prep backing for RWB Gems quilt

Cut out one baby quilt using the Go Cube

January 16, 2017
Load and quilt customer quilt
Knit on UFO sweater
Start emptying boxes in the unfinished basement & put things in new closet shelves
Put together pinwheel quilt
Load RWB Gems quilt

Not a bad list actually. If I can get most of those things done by next week I'm going to be doing a Snoopy dance for sure! 

I'm linking up with my regulars: Monday Making and Main Crush Monday. You know the drill grab the cup of tea (ok, most people will grab coffee) and spend some time surfing the web for wonderful quilt inspiration. 

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie