Monday, March 20, 2017

Monday Meanderings

A few weeks ago I finished the orphan blocks quilt that Sharon and I worked on when we were together in January.  Here's my part of the orphan block collection.  We decided to only work with white background fabric and save the tans and creams for another event.  Sharon didn't think she had much in the way of orphan blocks but she found quite a few r,w,b blocks from lotto blocks that she had won.  

We started by placing bigger blocks or smaller ones that when placed together became a bigger unit. We tried keep a balance between red blocks and blue blocks. 

We added in bigger blocks from Sharon and started to add spacers to fill in so that the odd size blocks would fit with each other. She had some blue pieces from a different quilt she made but didn't use. It was great that we didn't have to make those flying geese for this quilt!  


We were getting sections finished off and sewing the blocks together. Then we decided to put flying geese all around the quilt. 


Here's the quilt just about all finished.  Need a few more flying geese on the bottom right.  


Next up a close up of the quilting. This design is called Ginger Stars -- my go to quilting design for red, white and blue quilts. 


Here it is with its red binding put on.  Unfortunately I didn't do a great job on keeping the points on the flying geese, rats especially since Sharon worked so hard to keep the points while sewing them together 


This quilt will also be going to a TAPS -- Tragedy Assistance Program that will be held over Memorial Day weekend in DC.  Sharon and I really enjoyed making this quilt.  We'll have to decide if we have enough blocks to make another orphan block quilt next year.  Hum, maybe we should makes some blocks over the year with red, beige, and blue to use up the other blocks. 

So let's move forward to this week and see how I've done with my goals.

March 13, 2017
Continue repair of afghan√ All done!
Begin sashing the A Tisket A Tasket Blocks√ sashing cut
Make a block or two for the stripe challenge blocks
Figure out something to do with the Tangram block ugh I'm not sure on this
Continue working on zippered pouches√ (5 more done)

And now what I hope to work on this week. 

March 20, 2017
Sash and border the Tisket a Tasket blocks
Continue making zippered pouches (more zippers have been ordered)
Work on a new hat for Natalie
Make tangram block
Figure out what to do next on the stripe challenge blocks

That's it for me today.  I'm linking up with Monday Making, Moving It Forward Monday, and Main Crush Monday. I hope you can visit a few of the links.  

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 



6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I especially like the diagonal striped strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, and a great way to use all those orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! So happy all those orphans found such a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fun quilt! Congrats on using up all those orphan blocks for such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so fun that you were able to work on this quilt with a friend. It looks great and sounds like it's going to be donated to a very good cause. Thanks for sharing your orphan block quilt on MCM!

    ReplyDelete

I am pleased you've come to visit. I hope you will leave a comment.