Thursday, June 8, 2023

Rainbow Scrap Challenge in Progress

I've finally got 5 months worth of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks up on my design wall.  And, ooooh! I really like them.  My quilting friends have been listening to me complain as they are not as easy as I thought they would be. But, darn! They really look good to me.  


Here's how I've been making these 9" finished blocks.  First I make a small set of strips (1" to 2") -- usually 4 or 5 if the strips are really narrow. And repeat that 3 more times.   

Once I get all four strata made I use my 9" Accuquilt Go Cube Companion Set's Drunkard Path dies to cut the outside in white and the inside with the strip set pieces.  (OH no!  I just realized that the 4.5" dies to make the Drunkard Path blocks are no longer in  the 9" Cube Companion sets but they are available in other sizes.) 

When sewing these together I tend to pin like crazy.  There is a nice notch in the center of the arc which I match up and pin. And then I add a few more pins on each side. I generally sew with the white fabric on top and gently stitch the quarter circle, removing pins as I go along. 

Once all four sections are done I iron the seams.  I have been ironing seams of the two opposing sections toward the white and the other two sections to the color.  That lets the seams snug up nicely.

Last step is to sew the four sections together just like a four patch. 


 
It does take a bit of time to make each block but the end result is worth it. But, I swear, next year I'm picking easier blocks to make -- maybe. 

That's it for me.  I'm linking up with several Linky parties. Please take a look at what folks are up to by visiting some of these sites.

  Needle and Thread Thursday

Finished or Not Friday

Beauties Pageant

Scrap Happy Saturday 

I'm hoping to upload a few posts while I'm on vacation.  I'll try to include a couple of project pictures with a few of our vacation pictures. If my internet access isn't great then it may be a while before you hear anything else from me! 

Happy Quilting All!  Bonnie 


18 comments:

  1. What a very pretty design for your RSC this year!!!! You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I like them too! You did a great job with fabrics and cutting and sewing - can't wait to see the progress. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome! I was thinking something along these lines would be a cool RSC block and here you are doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look good.- I didn't get a drunkard path die in the 6" cube either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is coming together! It might have been a bit of a challenge but that is how we grow in this quilting journey! Safe travels my friend;) I didn't even know there was DP in cube companions-was that an older thing they did? I have the 8" cube and the companions and it isn't in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are looking so good! Thanks for noting the Accuquilt die that you used. I have a new cutter and only 1 die. Trying to decide on the next 'best' one to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty blocks! Together, they look like a punch board, hiding treasures beneath the circles of color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I really like them too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blocks have a LOT of visual impact. Great job with these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great blocks! They do sound a bit finicky, but hopefully worth it in the end. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They do look stunning! I'm making curved blocks for a long forgotten project and it's not easy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea! Sorry they're a pain, but they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are really cool RSC blocks. You are going to have a really fun quilt at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super job on the RSC Drunkard Path blocks. There's a lot of movement in them and I like that. How fun to also throw in a zebra! hahaha! Have a great vacation. Hopefully Internet will cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Bonnie, they are beautiful! Worth the fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh those are super cool!!! I am glad you keep making them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very nice indeed.... i like them a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.