Thursday, June 27, 2013

Triangle Thursday #19


June 26, 2013
Bow Tie Quilt
This design is number 3608 in Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. It was published by Aunt Martha publishing, probably in the 30s.  At the end of the directions I’ll show some other ways to arrange the blocks. Click here for a printer ready version.



Cutting directions are for 6”
Fabric
Number to cut
6”
Background Squares
8
Cut 2” squares
Bumble Bee Frabic
8
Cut 2” squares
Bumble Bee Triangles
8
Use 1” template
We will be constructing this block by making each of the 3 ½ (unfinished) blocks that makes up this setting.
Here’s what the pieces look like, well, 3 sets of the pieces!  I had already made one when I remembered to take the picture.  
Lay the triangle on one of the background blocks making sure the cut off edges are even with the square’s sides.  Sew ¼” away from the long side of the triangle edge.  (This is like sewing a square on the diagonal but you’ve already removed the part that you cut off!) I cut the yellow off after I ironed the triangle over.  I also recut to 2” if needed.
Next up, lay out one of the blocks to look like this.
Sew the squares into rows.  And then sew the rows together.  When ironing, I decided to “twirl” the center seam in hopes of being able to nest the seams in the block.  Hum, didn’t work out quite like that.  And, honestly, I don’t have the patience to figure it out.

Here are a few ways you can lay this block out. 
With additional blocks this one will end up making
the open circles shown at the beginning.
This is how I laid out my block to sew. 

I’ve made bow tie blocks off and on for years.  Often I use left over fabrics to make a 6” finished block.  Here’s the measurements: 3 ½” colored fab and background fabric. 2” squares for the bowties.  Ok, you can also use the 2” template to create the block with leftovers.  Four will make a 12” finished block. 

Here’s a baby quilt I made several years ago using this pattern and 6" bow tie blocks as compared to the 3" individual bow ties we made in this pattern. 

Happy Quilting All!  



 

1 comment:

  1. I've always enjoyed bow-tie blocks. Thanks again for the pdf link

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.