Monday, October 6, 2014

Design Wall Monday 10-6-14

Sniff!  Retreat is over for another year.  And we all had a fabulous time. 

Here's what I worked on. . . 

This is Carolina Christmas, Bonnie Hunter's yearly mystery for 2009.  I started it sometime in December of that year.  I have worked on it off and on for the last few years.  At the June retreat I got the center blocks all together and started making the pieced blocks for the border. I finished all of the border blocks once I got home.  I was able to put on the small inner border and get three of the four borders together at this retreat.  Hopefully, I won't wait for the next retreat to do the last border.  I was tired and making mistakes by the time I got this far.  I thought I hadn't pieced enough of the border blocks to finish this but I might have enough once I look at it again.  Thank goodness for photos -- I have the top left corner block turned wrong.  Sigh.  This may be a top by the end of this month.  In fact, if I were clever, I would have the thing quilted and bound by the end of the month but I have a lot going on this month so we'll see. 

Winston is one of the three wild dogs that I buttonhole stitched around the edges.  He has some eyes and other small details that will be added once I get the top together and quilted.  I've now finished all the appliquéing and I'm ready to sash them.  I bought fabric to do that but need to figure out if I have everything I need to finish the top.  



I didn't put much on my weekly goals because I knew I would be spending most of my time preparing and packing projects for the retreat.  

Week of September 22, 2014
Hair cut √
Prep last 2 wild dogs√
Cut background for new scrap quilt √
Cut blocks for Christmas favorites √
Attend Country Piecemakers Retreat!! √
Get to Amish store to buy licorice and glass chimney for candle sticks√

Visit Patchwork Plus √

And for this week... pretty low key as I rest up and clean up from the retreat.

Week of October 6, 2014
Unpack projects and machine from retreat
Stitch the second Grim Ripper
Quilt something, anything, on Ruthie
Make a block for Christmas Favorites
Prepare for and attend Country Piecemaker’s meeting
Clear off the cutting table and put away the scraps
Clean the studio

I learned something this weekend.  My car can accommodate three gals and supplies for a 4 day, 3 night retreat. I got very good using my side mirrors! 


Visit Patchwork Times if you want to see Design Walls Across the Internet. 

Happy Quilting All! 

7 comments:

  1. You accomplished a lot at the retreat. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to take a lesson from you. I keep saying I don't go to retreats because my husband cooks and I don't have demands on me and I can quilt all I want, yadda, yadda. But that leaves out the fellowship part of a retreat. And now that I think of it, Pat cooks too, well, not all the time like Gary, but if you needed him to, he would. So I think it's time I went to a retreat. Wanna come with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your BH quilt is wonderful! I know I depend on photos to keep me straight. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Carolina Christmas quilt looks so pretty. I don't feel so bad not finishing my 2 Bonnie mystery quilts. Maybe at my retreat one will get finished this year. Love your wild dog applique. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your Carolina Christmas progress. I think I have parts of mine somewhere in my studio. I'll get it done eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous C Christmas quilt - she is almost done! Congrats! And Winston sure is a character - even without eyes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Carolina Christmas looks great and you made a lot of progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.