Sunday, August 6, 2023

Monday Meanderings 8 - 8 - 2023

This week is going to be busy, oh so busy. This week is Grammy Camp.  My two youngest grands are spending a few days with us.  So far we have plans for them to  go swimming every day, make a bird house with Peka, make dog biscuits to take home to Chewy, and a puzzle that we can work on.  Hopefully that will keep them entertained during the three days. As you might guess, I won't be doing a whole lot of stitching this week so I've cut back my whole list this week.  

Let's start with how I did last week.  It was a good week. 

7/31/2023

✅ Quilt big pinwheel quilt — done but not bound yet.

✅ Mail blocks to FCQ Equilter — done and already received.

✅ Figure out dog biscuit recipe and cutter — ready to make with grands.

🆗 Finish border of Thirty Something quilt and sew top together — progress made, almost together.


This top was finished in April this year as part of the APQ UFO Challenge. I put it in the to-be-quilted closet until I found some backing.  The quilting design is called Malachite.  I don't use it often but I really like the texture it creates.  Hopefully before August is done I'll have it bound.  Right now, it hasn't even been trimmed. 



Now this week's goals -- they look much different from my regular goals. 

8/7/23

Work on Happy Block quilt (4 x 5 set)

Grammy Camp - make dog biscuits, paint and assemble bird houses, and swim with the Grands.

Work on red and yellow RSC blocks

Finish the Thirty Something blocks and sew together 


Along with Grammy Camp we are going to a "Meet the Pup" barbecue.  Here's a picture of the new pup our son's family got in June.  They lost both of their dogs (a really old yellow lab and their previous German Wire Haired Pointer) earlier this year. 



Chewey, named after Chewbacca, at approximately 6 weeks old.  I'll try to get some more pictures of him this weekend.  Chewey came into the family the day we got home after the cruise.  We are an easy stop on their way home from the breeder so we got to see him right after they picked him up.  We'll be seeing him for the second time with the whole family on Sunday. (Pictures will be shared...) 


I know a lot of people try hard not to get distracted by projects not on their goals list. I do check mine during the week and keep to it.  But this week I realized I didn't want to use the 30 Something quilt to send to children in Ukraine.  It isn't going to be easy to quilt with so many intersections with 6 seams coming together. So, I had a goodly number of Happy Blocks that wouldn't be hard to bring up to the right size. I figured I needed 8, maybe 9 more blocks. Except I couldn't decide how to lay them out.  I cut the extra blocks and then laid them out with the finished blocks trying to decide where I should place them. Here's one layout -- which isn't the final one by far. 



I switched to grey scale to see what the placement looked like. Yep, too dark on the top. I've made a few more of the blocks. Because the blocks are laid out in different ways I won't make them all until I know where they will be placed. This will be changed around so the lights and darks are more evenly spaced. Hopefully, this week. 


And finally Sharon gave me until August 14 to figure out my fabrics for the Malted Mystery.  She's got hers planned but won't be able to start cutting until then. We generally FaceTime to work on our quilts together.  I went to the stash and made an initial pull.  I haven't verified fabric amounts. Here's what I came up with.  I haven't figured out which colors would be in which position but this is what I will start with. Oops... that lighter orange would actually be with its orange friends. They are hand dyes -- some are probably purchased but I'm guessing I did some of them too -- many, many years ago.  It's time to use some of them! Hopefully I'll have enough of the other fabrics or can find similar fabric. The light purple will be a 1 yard amount.   



That's it for me.  I'm linking up with my regular Linky parties.  Please give a look at what's happening across the Internet.  I hope I have some time to surf these blogs this week! 


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 


14 comments:

  1. You'll have lots of fun with the grands and you might be tired out too! That's a good time for a sewing break. Do they like to do any sewing while with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. grammy camp sounds like a fun idea - have fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with the grands--always a good way to shake up our routines, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Grammy camp" - I love that! The fact you take them swimming and have actual plans is so impressive. The pup is adorable! Your challenge quilt looks gorgeous, and I like the quilting. Nice fabric pull for your mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun with your campers this week! The puppy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grammy Camp!!! I want to go!!!! and Chewy - oh my heavens - he is SOOOOO cute!!! Have a super great week and enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a fun Grammy Camp! Let me know if you have spots open for adults! Alycia and I will sign up...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute puppy! Have lots of fun with Grammy Camp. You should use that quilting stitch more often because it really does have fabulous texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with Grammy camp! I think the Happy Blocks are the perfect choice for a quilt for Ukraine. It should be a pretty fast finish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute puppy...lucky you to have those grands to keep busy...you are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope that Grammy Camp has been a lot of fun and the kids stayed busy. I like your fabric pull for the mystery. Happy stitching when you get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Malachite is so good on your plaid quilt!!! Awww, Chewey is so cute!!! Cute color combo for your Malted Mystery! I'm sure Grammy Camp is/was fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.