Sunday, August 27, 2023

Monday Meandering 8 - 28 - 2023

The bad news (for me) is I'm starting later tonight than I usually do.  The good news (for readers) is in the next day or two I'll post another Mysteries and Quilt Alongs.  Hopefully it will be done by Wed. 

I'm jumping right in on the goals list. 

Work on misc blocks: √FCQ Equilter blocks, √retreat blocks, √red and yellow RSC blocks — More FCQ Equilter blocks and retreat blocks need to be made. Red and yellow Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks are done. Here are pictures of all of them. 

Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks in red and yellow.

October Retreat lotto blocks.

FCQ Equilter blocks due by the end of September.

In case you really like these 9 Patch Shoo Fly blocks you can see how they are made at Missouri Star: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/blogs/missouri-star-quilting-tutorials/nine-patch-shoofly-quilt-tutorial They are made with 2 2.5" strips of a light and a dark.(ie 4 strips)  I don't tend to buy jelly rolls all that much so I have been cutting my own strips from fat quarters or small bits of leftover fabrics. I've got several more cut out except I realized I forgot to cut some of the 2.5" squares. So I'll be showing some more of these in the next week or two. 

Take out Tee shirt quilt and plan it out — planned and background fabric purchased.


✅Buy background and finish cutting Malted Mystery — more of the grey fabric is on order but I haven’t begun cutting yet.


Clean up the front of the cutting table — I can see progress but I doubt anyone else can. I’ve been using various dies to cut the fabric hanging around the front of the cutting table.


Here's my list for this week. 


8/28/23

Continue the clean up of the front of the cutting table

Quilt customer quilt

Bind the big pinwheel quilt

Finish the FCQ Equilter blocks and work on more retreat blocks


There's just a little difference between last week's goals and this week's. Hopefully I will continue to make big progress on the cutting table. 


And here's a little problem I had last week. (Or was it the week before?) 



I call it the cake mistake. We like carrot cake so I made one.  The recipe came from my aunt and I've made it many, many times.  Except I noticed I'd put a sticky note on it giving the info that the frosting recipe made too much frosting and gave amounts for a half a recipe.  I followed it but this is all I could cover. SIGH. Eventually I made another half recipe and got it covered.  But for some reason the cream cheese dressing just tasted like regular buttercream frosting. Another sigh. It was too much cake for us so we finally put quite a few pieces in the freezer and will enjoy them later.  


I'm looking forward to this week as a few days will be only in the 70s. Whoop! Whoop! And, we'll have a night or two go down in the 50s! 😃  We tend not to turn the oven on if the temps are in the high 80s and above.  I did turn it on for the cake  but most of the summer we are microwaving, air frying or grilling our evening meal. I'm looking forward to making banana bread and some cookies. Do you bake during the summer? 


That's it for tonight. Please enjoy surfing these web sites to see what is going on across the internet. 

Oh Scrap

Design Wall Monday

Monday Musings

Sew and Tell

To Do Tuesday


I'll be back to link up to the other parties. (And, hopefully I'll do that in a timely manner!) 


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 




9 comments:

  1. Love your RSC blocks, Bonnie!!! I'm with you--not much baking in the heat of the summer. Great idea, freezing some of the cake for later. I'm planning on making some banana bread this week, too! Best wishes on your goals for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrot cake but I rarely make frosting any more I usually buy a can :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress on your blocks. I don't do a lot of baking in the summer, if I do I look for a cooler morning to do it. This weekend we enjoyed 70's after a hot humid week. So I baked blueberry muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a great job getting caught up on those miscellaneous blocks, Bonnie! And yum on the carrot cake, too. I don't do much baking anymore at all, but we did experiment with baking small quick bread loaves in the air fryer and it works great. In fact, I'm thinking of making some zucchini bread this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today's the day for me to bake a new dessert (we finished the peach pie yesterday) -- carrot cake it is! The RSC blocks are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the orange/black shoo fly blocks look really cool! Good plans for the week! I laughed at the cake--it could've been one of mine! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made some really fun blocks. Your Halloween themed ones are my favorite. Oh, so sorry for the icing fail. At least it was salvageable. Enjoy the cooler weather, ours hasn't been as cool, but I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rarely use the oven in the summer. I might bake something on a rainy day, but that’s it. My apartment doesn’t have AC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blocks, Bonnie! Your carrot cake sounds awesome. That's my brother's favorite and I love it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.