Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Monday, Um, Tuesday Meanderings 9 - 5 - 2023

Yep, I took yesterday off from blog writing.  We had a busy week -- well Thursday through Monday.  Thursday we went with friends to see 42nd Street at the local dinner theater.  (We just went for the show.) Friday was our community's regular Pot Luck.  Saturday nothing spectacular happened. Sunday was a pot luck for residents of our street.  The neighbors who planned this were brilliant!  Instead of the usual outdoors picnic they reserved the big room in the club house. Much nicer than sweating outside. 

Monday night we had our third (yes 3rd!) pot luck with the Spotsylvanians.  Again someone brilliant planned it for indoors. It was about 95 degrees when we drove over and the humidity was awful.  So yes, 4 days and 3 pot lucks.  (Hum, is there a movie behind those words? Or maybe a country music song?) 

I'll get back to my busy weekend after looking at my goals. 

8/28/23

✅Continue the clean up of the front of the cutting table — a little more progress made

✅Quilt customer quilt— not done but progress has been made

✅Bind the big pinwheel quilt— done

Finish the FCQ Equilter blocks and work on more retreat blocks — not sure if I’ll make more. 


Not too bad if I do say so myself. No pictures as most of these you've already seen multiple pictures. 


On to this week's goals.... 


9/4/23

Finish quilting customer quilt

Continue the clean up of the front of the cutting table

Finish sewing baby quilt blocks together and figure out borders

Layout Ombré log cabin and start sewing rows together (this is the Sept UFO project)


Just an extra note about the clean up of the front of the cutting table. I have a very large table to cut on and pile fabric on. One third always has space cleared to cut fabric out.  Opposite that is my Accuquilt Go cutter. It's always ready to use at a moments notice. On the front end is where everything gets piled. It is definitely an archeologic dig when I decide to get it cleaned up.  This time I'm going through the fabric.  Some has been put away. Some has been cut up into various sizes using the Go cutter. But it is a slow process.  I'll spend 30 minutes or so at it and then get bored or sidetracked*.  Eventually the cutting mat under the piles will be totally visible. BTW -- I can see that progress is being made. Hubby, however, can't.  I am being pretty persistent on the cleaning but have quite a ways to go.  


*Which leads me to the squirrel baby quilt. No there were no real squirrels or images of them involved.  You know what I mean -- I was distracted by fabric. I had some really old baby fabric -- squares already cut. And, I realized I'd recently seen a bit more of the fabric. Next thing I knew I had cut some other old fabric, picked a newer fat quarter and was looking for something else to round out a baby quilt. Hubby and I went out and just happened to pass the local quilt store. I just happened to have fabric samples that I was able to match up with some yardage. The helpful sales person suggested a thirties pink that worked really well from both color and design. It means I was able to finish the design of the baby quilt. The center is almost all sewn together.  My next plan is to figure out some fabric for a border. (I'm thinking the pink and a white or cream...as long as it is already in my stash! Me the yellow?) If you have any ideas please share them. I just want to get it to 33" or so. Squares are cut 5" so it currently is 31.5" so not much is needed.  


 I have a bit of the yellow and pink left. There HAS to be enough left to make a small border! 


That little fabric extravaganza happened in August. Monday I decided I had to go to JoAnns to take advantage of the Labor Day sales. I often buy backing fabric from JoAnns, especially when it is selling under $5.00 a yard.  I originally planned to buy for 3 smaller quilts. But being a good sewer I checked the stash first. Wow! Surprise, surprise. There was a piece that would work great with one of the Happy Quilt tops.  I only needed to get two pieces -- altogether only 3 yards. I let my friend Sharon sway me. (No she wasn't there but we often hit JoAnns when she's visiting as the store is so close.) Here are the fabrics -- I went a little wild. 



Wild fabric 1. (that's what I named the photo at least. It will go with the coffee top. Oops, I've never shared any pictures of that quilt. You might want to put on your sunglasses... 



👈This top is actually a little brighter than shown here. Wild. I can't believe I haven't shared any pictures of this as I finished the top January, 2022.  The orange is an old Moda Marbles and the green is a Kona solid. I'm pretty sure I bought the coffee fabric from a seller on Sew Its for Sale along with some other fabric. 


Thanks Sharon for swaying me to the wild side. 


Except, wait! There's more! I had another quilt top ready to be quilted.  You can see it here.  It was finished late last year.  👇 This fabric is less in your face but still different. 




Wild Fabric 2 isn't as wild.  But it is an interesting multi-colored fab.

I realized while I was looking for pics of the two tops that I have several quilts I never shared.  Maybe I'll get another post out in the next couple of days sharing finished quilts. (Don't hold your breath...I do get distracted quite a bit!) 


Here are my regular Monday and Tuesday Linky parties. 

Oh Scrap

Design Wall Monday

Monday Meanderings 

Sew and Tell

To Do Tuesday 


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

10 comments:

  1. Your description of all the potlucks reminded of the years our boys were in high school - all in one week we'd have the band potluck, the Scout potluck, the tennis team potluck - you name it! Your weekend sounds fun to me! Cleaning up the piles is never a fun task, but it's good to spend a little time at it. Cute baby quilt, and backing fabrics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely had a fine dining weekend! I love your bright and bold backings, those are really fun. Good luck with this week's to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those backings are really wild and fun! Are they wide backs, I don't remember seeing those at my JoAnns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squirrels - LOVE them!!!
    THose backings are too cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilts and really wild and beautiful backings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wild fabrics you purchased! Colorful and FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, those are beautiful prints!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monday, Tuesday Someday Otherday. It is fun to be retired :-D I save the bright flashy fabrics for zippered pouches. Have a Happy Sunday...just like any other day :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great week, Bonnie! I love your backing additions - wild is good! LOL I love the soft baby quilt colors and I bet that 30s pink will be perfect with it! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.