It was a great week! Retreat is over and I'm exhausted. But what fun we all had. There were 7 of us sewing in a space that was actually designed for scrapbooking. I failed to take pictures of sewing area. So here's a verbal description. We each had a table to set up on. Then there were tables for an iron and for cutting mats. Those two tables were on risers so they were at a comfortable height. There was also a snack table and an extra refrigerator. There was also a bedroom and bath downstairs. Upstairs there was a kitchen, dining room, living room, one bedroom and access to a beautiful screen porch. The next floor had two more bedrooms and a bath room. A nice set up for us.
Here're my goals from last week.
7/13/26
✅Pack up sewing projects & supplies and travel to retreat! — arrived, sewed and came home.
✅Work on projects most are groups of blocks to make into tops — most were moved forward or finished.
Prep Snowman #3 for hand appliquéing— started but not finished.
7/20/26
Knit on a new hat
Work on Snowman #2
Finish prepping Snowman #3 for hand appliquéing
Cut more blocks and sew turquoise and green baby quilt together
Load a quilt on Ruthie and quilt it.
I had a really successful retreat. I brought 8 projects to work on. Most were blocks needing to be put into tops. One was a new quilt cut and ready to sew. Here are some of the projects.
This economy block, along with about 7 others, was made at retreat. Then I laid out all the blocks on my design bed. And, then I moved blocks around. Took photos and turned them into greyscale. And again and again. After an hour or so I decided I needed to reevaluate the blocks. They were a variety of fabric colors and styles. I finally decided to put these basic in their pouch and look at them once I got home. My guess is I'll make some more blocks that are medium and then the quilt will look more balanced. A lot of the blocks looked really dark when turned to greyscale. So I went on to something else.
I started this quilt with the little 9 patches which are 3" in the quilt. I actually cut out the other parts for last October's retreat. I sewed this top at retreat. Except, I didn't cut the colored border. In fact I have no idea what fabric I'll use for the border. I'm hoping to get it finished sooner, rather than later. I might have a fabric that will work. I'll keep you posted on this one.
Next up I pulled out the blocks to make this little baby quilt. It's a 64 square quilt,
set 8 x 8. It finishes 36" square. The squares are cut 5" and finish at 4.5". Are you asking why I made these blocks 5"? It's because I have a 9" Aaccuquilt Cube. The big square turns is 5". My other choice would have been 6" finished which seemed too big for my fabrics. The fabric was a kit from Craftsy when they were going out of business. It all is sea motifs. Whales, clams, bottles in the sea, etc. I may have enough fabric left over for a second one. I think I have yardage of one or two of these fabrics to use as backing.
Not a great picture but this is the one totally new quilt. I used one of my Quilts for Baby books by Ursula Reikes. The Eiffel Tower fabric was free on a give away table at one of my quilt guilds. I didn't bring both pages of the directions -- only the sewing it together part. I still need to cut the border and apply it. Again, I'l need to find backing for it eventually.
And, that's my trusty Featherweight that really sewed a lot this past week. One thing I learned is the Singer needles are not any good. I'd changed the needle in it for the only needle I had with me, from Singer. The stitches were awful, skipped, big and poorly formed. Luckily a friend had recently taken a Featherweight maintenance class. The instructor said the Singer needles were awful. She gave me a new needle and that Featherweight sewed like a champ for the whole retreat. Phew!
My last project did get started. You can see one of the blocks here on last week's post. It's the watermelon Happy block. I didn't take any pictures of the rest of the blocks I made during the week. Again, something I'll be working on over the upcoming weeks and months too. I think all the blocks are ready to be sewn into rows and a top.
So, yes, I made forward progress on a lot of projects. Most need more progress to get to top stage. But WOW I was amazed how many projects I worked on and made good progress. I have another retreat in October -- so I'll need to get another group of projects ready to finish or at least move forward for it. Who knows, I may wait 'til then to finish some of these projects.
NEWS ALERT!
I didn't do any stitching today! In fact, I forgot all about it until a few paragraphs back! So here are the numbers.
Week ending 7/19/26: 200 days of 2026.
199 stitching days out of 200 days 99.5%
I'll start back up tomorrow. At least I got reading on my Kindle done. Now it's time to remind all to check out these Linky parties.
One thing I didn't mention is I took most of my tools and projects down to the sewing room when I got home. Tomorrow I'll only have to take down a few things. Of course, then I'll need to put everything back away. Hopefully it will all be put away by lunch.
Happy Quilting All! Bonnie







So nice to hear you had a very successful and fun week! Lots of progress, you did good:)
ReplyDeleteWow! What a week! I loved seeing all you got done and things in the works!
ReplyDeleteWhat a productive retreat!!! It was fun to see all the things you accomplished while having a great time with friends. Makes me want to sign up for a retreat again soon.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you got a lot done at your retreat, and I enjoyed seeing all of your projects! I love the the tiny 9 patch blocks - those made me want to go into my sewing room and try making some. Are the squares 1.5 inches? Or did you make them with strip sets? They're so fun and colorful!
ReplyDeletelots of sewing and your retreat center sounds great - nice to have one bedroom on the first floor in case someone can't climb stairs good
ReplyDelete