Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jessica Sprague's Class


Last month JessicaSprague.com offered a free class on Frame Ups and Special Effects. It started yesterday and I didn't think to do it last night. So, while I am dithering away on what to do next on the hanky challenge I decided to follow the directions for day 1. Here's the resulting photo with frame and word art. Notice the gold frame and the word sassy in the bottom right corner? Getting those two items on to the photograph was the first lesson. Tonight I may try to do lesson 2. I work on a Mac and not all the directions are the same so it took a little playing around to get it right. I would say that Cassie, on the leftt, and Raggs on the right are definitely Sassy!


I have photos of several different ways to continue the hanky challenge. I realized after I made the hanky into a frame that putting a white underlay really didn't substantially change the look of the hanky.

Here's the hanky with the frame in place. Nope, you really can't see that I put in a frame. Oh well. I enjoyed learning the new technique anyway. I had planned to applique the rose into the center.

Here's sample 1: green mini border, deep purple triangles to put on point. I'd have to applique something in the borders. The rose looks nice there... but four more? I was also thinking of doing some celtic work out there.... hum.




And, sample 2: Green miniborder, red, wider border. Rose applique in the middle where I originally expected to put it. (on the left.) Ho hum.




Sample 3. Same deep purple on point, red mini border, rose back in the center. (on left.)Still need something in triangles....

Sample 4. Back to the red on point, green mini border... (on right.) ditto on something in the triangles...

Ok, that's enough of these.

You can see my dilemma. Let me know what you think. I had also thought of doing a pieced border but I didn't want to detract too much from the hanky. And, it is really busy. Sound off folks and let me know what you think.

Happy Quilting.


3 comments:

  1. I like the green frame with the black and the red frame with the black. The mixture of green and red is just too much for my eye. The black gives my eye some where to rest.

    This looks like a wonderful way to use hankies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like #3. Somehow the green one doesn't bring out the green in the hankie like I would expect. The red looks great, and the deep purple is wonderful. I do like the Rose in the middle. Is this for just one block, or are you going to do a larger piece? Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie, Just to throw a spanner into the works, I'm not crazy about that red rose in the center. I think it takes away from the pink ones.

    Rags looks so happy!

    Sallie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.