Thursday, January 6, 2011

Have You Seen . . .



the new block of the month over at Bunny Hill Designs?

HW.jpg

Welcome to Henrietta Whiskers.  

Once again, Anne has done a marvelous job.  And, wow, a wonderful quilt design to go with Henrietta. 

Scaredy Squirrel
As some of you may know I was an elementary librarian for many years.  What I enjoyed most was sharing my favorite books with children and finding new books to share.  And, one of my all time favorites books is Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt. 

Scaredy is a wonderful squirrel full of anxiety and angst.  Yet he triumphs over all of them.  Anne didn't use Scaredy Squirrel as her model, he's too modern and full of worries.  Kids love him.  The sad part is I've never purchased my own copy.  The good part is Melanie has written a few more Scaredy Squirrel books .  He's a perfect friend for the 4 to 6 or 7 year old set.  

As I searched through Amazon I realized there aren't a lot of wonderful squirrel characters in children's literature.  There's The Meanest Squirrel I've Ever Met by Gene Zion.  The school library had a copy of it but I can't recall the story.  There's Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix Potter -- but don't recall even seeing that book. And, there are always a lot of nonfiction stories about squirrels.  If you are a children's author, here's a great opportunity for you.  Create a story about Henrietta Whiskers to go with the lovely blocks Anne will be designing.  Wouldn't that be a fabulous gift for a child -- a wonderful quilt with a storybook to go with it.  

I haven't been very productive the past couple of days.  I'm ready to load a quilt on Ruthie but I think I'm surfing the internet to not have to do it. (Hey, it's a charity quilt and it isn't the most attractive quilt around...) I've cut out one baby quilt for this weekend's sew in.  I doubt if I can get more than one done during the time.  I have fabrics pulled for a second one -- can't decide whether I should go ahead and cut it or not.  Decisions, decisions.  Looking back I guess I've done everything I said I should do.  Amazing. 

Next Steps:
    • load and quilt charity quilt
    • put away Christmas decorations after Epiphany
    • get the house cleaned for next weeks visit with my stamping buddies
    • plan some activities and meals for us 
    • Prep some more A Tisket, A Tasket blocks to work on when I visit Sharon next week 

Ok, enough procrastination.  On to doing things.  Happy Quilting All!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.