Monday, September 23, 2019

Monday Meanderings 9 - 23 - 2019

Almost no quilting happened this past week.  I did get a bit of knitting done on the sweater I'm making for Ellie.  (Hum, must take a picture to share one of these days.) I did get one charity quilt loaded and one row quilted before I ran out of time. 

Here's why I ran out of time.  As some of you know we own a beach house in Nags Head, NC. We headed down there Wednesday to see whether we had any damage from the hurricane earlier this month.  Plus we needed to spruce up the place and get ready for the new rental management team that will start in October.  I'll leave it at I was exhausted at the end of every day.  We were working like crazy! We didn't come home until Sunday. 

I did spend a little time with my photos on my computer.  (I take lots of pictures and then go back and throw away what I don't like or need.) I ran across a quilt I don't think I've ever shared. This quilt started with a box of fabrics and orphan blocks from Country Piecemakers.  I began by putting the blocks on the design wall to see what I needed to fill in.  Some of the fabrics came from the box others from my stash.  This looks like the blocks and fillers were already sewn in columns.  (I don't remember as I did this in January or so.) I was auditioning a border. 
Here's a close up of the blocks on the left.  A cute, bright little turtle. 
I quilted it with a big lazy stipple. And, note, no border -- not enough fabric to do one. 
And here is the finished product.  I passed this on to Janet for a NICU baby.  I really like this quilt -- mostly because of the bright happy colors. 

A reminder, mostly to me, of what I need to get done in the next week and a half.... retreat is almost here! 

Quilt two charity quilts for Faithful Circle Quilters
Cut and package 2 more quilt kits to take on retreat
Clean up the cutting table so I can use all of it again 

I did start to clean up the cutting table. Which amounts to putting away a ruler or two and moving 10 scraps to trash or appropriate place.  There's a LOT more to be done. I'll be focusing on the quilting the charity quilts the most.  I've probably got more than enough projects to work on at retreat. I have one project half cut out so I should try to finish that. 

I'm linking up with Oh Scrap, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday (welcome back Beth!), Moving It Forward, and What I Did Monday. Enjoy checking out these blogs.  They are wonderful for inspiration!  And don't we all need another quilt idea to add to our list of what we'd like to make some day? 

Happy Quilting All!  Bonnie 





6 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie - I hope your House didn’t suffer much damage from the storm. How nice for you and hubby to have a place to get away to once in a while. Your quilt is definitely happy - someone is going to enjoy it very much! Thanks for sharing your quilt on MCM:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your orphan block quilt is very sweet! I'm working on a bunch of those myself and sometimes I think they look too busy. Seeing yours with fresh eyes really helps me remember how much I love the scrappy happy nature of these pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and cheerful orphan block quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dealing with house clean up and such is very tiring (and for some reason I also find muscles I didn't know existed during such exercises). The orphan block quilt is pretty cute. You'd never know those were all orphans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget to put "clean up the cutting table" on my list but it totally needs to be there -- the debris from one project is preventing me from moving on with the next one. Your NICU quilt is adorable and I enjoyed the story of how it came together from orphan blocks. The finished quilt looks very "planned;" you did a great job pulling it all together! No, I did not know you had a beach house in Carolina. I'm really curious about that, especially the amount of work/stress related to owning and maintaining beach property versus renting someone else's beach house when you want to go to the beach. We live in Charlotte, NC and have stayed in hotels at the beach, rented houses at a couple of different beaches, and my husband would like to buy a beach house someday but I worry that owning the beach house might turn our beach vacations into lots of work and headaches. How long have you owned the beach house, and would you do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What bright fun quilt!! PErfect after working so hard! Hope you house was okay!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.