Do you have weeks where your planned activities don't actually get done, or at least not all of them? That's what I've faced this week. Here's what I wanted to get done this week ---
✅Make some composition book covers - 2 are done and I rewrote the directions to get a nice tight cover.
Continue working on challenge piece inspired by a card - HA! Didn’t touch it — again. (I might make progress after I finish this post....)
✅Finish sewing Ombre log cabin blocks together in columns - still need to get a couple of columns done.
✅Sew 1 Picket Star top together - Done!
Start on Sept UFO challenge piece. - Didn’t even get it out. Sigh.
So no, I didn't get all of the goals done but I did make some forward progress. I decided to revise the composition book cover directions I had after Sue Daurio shared she'd just gone to a class on making covers. She was kind enough to send me a picture of hers. It looked so different from what I made I decided to try to figure out how to make it. After many trials and errors I succeeded. Here's the piece before sewing it all together.
Before the end of August I finished another smaller quilt. This was a block of the month from the Country Piecemakers guild several years ago. Each participant bought the book The Anniversary Sampler Quilt by Donna Lynn Thomas. We made a block or two each month. I decided that I wanted a 5 by 5 setting and needed 25 6" blocks. As I finished all the blocks I liked from the book I chose blocks from other sources to make up the 25. I made this quilt specifically to use some of the 5 yards of cotton fabric I purchased at a children's dress manufacturer many years ago. (As in at least 25 years ago!) I tried using it as the sashing but it looked awful. (You can see the "attempt" here.) The purple looks much better.
Thanks to my favorite quilt holder for once again holding my quilt. It's easier when it is small like this one. After he held it, he hung it above the fireplace. It's a little bright and "springy" for September. But I was tired of the quilt that was there.
Here's the ancient fabric backing! The fabric is 60" wide. Um, I have to admit I have about 3 yards left. I'm going to reassess the tops I have ready to quilt to see if any of them would look good with this as backing fabric.
I'm linking to my favorite parties for the beginning of the week. You know the drill. Take some time to visit some of the bloggers who link up with these parties. I find so much inspiration when I surf these sites.
I finally remembered what else took up some of my time this past week. I entered two quilts in Virginia's State Fair. I've never entered either a state or county fair before. My local guild, Virginia Star Quilters, has a booth at the fair and wanted members to enter some of their quilts. I spent part of the week sewing sleeves on, making labels and driving it over to a member who was willing to deliver the quilts. Pat and I will be manning the booth at the beginning of October. It would be fun to win a ribbon but I'm not counting on that happening. But I'll let you know in a few weeks.
Happy Quilting All! Bonnie