Sunday, August 28, 2022

Monday Meanderings 8 - 29 - 2022

I was trying to decide what I could type to spell the sound the wind makes as it blows by you. I couldn't decide but I sure feel August has blown by at a rapid speed. Luckily I may have time to squeeze one more small quilt in before the month ends if I really focus on what I'm doing. (I'll let you know next week if I succeed.)  I'm sorry to report the temps are hovering back in the 90s again. At 6:30 tonight it was 91. Good Grief. We're looking for relief after Wed. Back to Quilty stuff: 

Here's the goal's list from last week. 

8/22/22

✅Bind August UFO Challenge Quilt -  Done! 

Continue working on challenge piece inspired by a card - really no actual progress but I've thought about it a bit more.

✅Quilt top from quilt guild - Finished after several days of trying to figure out what I wanted to do.

✅Make a few Picket Star Quilt blocks - ok, honesty here: I sewed pieces of one together and cut out another half block so not a whole lot of progress. 


Forgot to add ✅make composition book covers. - I need to make 12 composition book covers over the next month.  1 is done, 1 is started...


Here's the finished August UFO Challenge Quilt.  I showed it two weeks ago with the backing fabric I picked. (Nann - thanks bunches it worked really well.) 


This was a paper pieced project with not enough blocks at the beginning of August.  I made a couple more and then auditioned the layout.  Went to sew it together and realized I had NOT removed all the paper. Pulled the centers of each block and left the edges to make it easier to sew together.  Spent more time pulling paper and then quilted it.  The quilting design is called Ariana. It has a lot of curvy motion that I like.   Below is the quilt with the backing showing. 


This quilt is less than 40" wide by about 54" long. (That may be off a bit I was typing from memory and that is always questionable!) It will be donated through my quilt guild to someone. 


Here's my plan for this upcoming week.  


8/29/22

Make some composition book covers 

Continue working on challenge piece inspired by a card

Finish sewing Ombre log cabin blocks together in columns

Sew one Picket Star top together (I have enough for 2.) 

Start on Sept UFO challenge piece. 


Another off list item I started working on last week was sewing the Ombre Log Cabin blocks into columns. I'm setting them on point so think of those columns as leaning.  Here's what they looked like before I started sewing them together. 


I laid these out on the guest room bed in hopes I could see more than what I could have gotten on my design wall. So I wouldn't have to run up and down the stairs a lot I set up my Featherweight on the dining room table. I've been having a hard time figuring out what layout will make the quilt the size I want.  I decided to go with what the pattern said for the columns. Then I will lay it out on the biggest open floor area I can find and add as needed.  The pattern calls for 59 blocks.  I suspect I have way more. First I need to get this the right size for our bed.  I guess that means an extra column somewhere. I'll keep you posted on this one. 


The squirrel came back to visit again this week but he didn't sploot.  Nancy who blogs at Wyoming Breezes sent me a link to her local paper that talked about splooting squirrels. Fun to see the word is spreading.  (If you don't know splooting you can read last week's Monday post for the meaning and see "our" squirrel doing it.) 


I'm done for the night but first Linky parties. Enjoy some surfing time this week. 

Oh Scrap

Monday Making

Design Wall Monday

To Do Tuesday 


Happy Quilting All!  Bonnie 



13 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were able to get the guild quilt quilted this week. Oh how I love the ombre log cabins!! Good luck on this weeks goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the quilt looks fabulous great finish! We just had a work shop on compostion book covers. I have one finished and a few more planned, can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it has been kind of hot here too again, ready for fall

    ReplyDelete
  4. My apologies, Bonnie -- I've been so distracted these couple of weeks that only now do I realize what you meant about the fabric. I recognize it! Glad it came in handy for this project. How about "whooosh" to describe the way August has flown by? I'm grateful that this is a "fifth week" (=fifth M/T/W).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blues in your guild quilt are so vibrant! It's beautiful. The ombre' log cabin blocks are gorgeous! I really wish I had ordered more of those fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blue quilt is gorgeous. Fabulous design and your log cabin quilt in progress is another beauty. Looking forward to seeing your progress. You have a busy week planned and I am sure you will get it all completed plus more. Have a great week, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to look closely to figure out how you made the blocks for your August UFO challenge. What an interesting layout for those blocks. And a beautiful quilt!
    I love your ombre log cabin blocks. The color changes within each block are subtle, and perfect.
    Splooting is a new word for me. I've never seen a squirrel sploot but I can understand their need to do it during these hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blue and white quilt is so pretty! I just love those colors together!!
    Hope it cools down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That backing on your challenge quilt is gorgeous, such a pretty quilt. The Ombre Log Cabin is beautiful. It's always nice to have more blocks than needed, right?
    Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I love your ombre log cabin blocks. That will be such a pretty quilt when it's assembled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sure is a very pretty quilt bonnie...i'm visiting new england so left that horrible hot weather behind....40s sunday morning they say...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those ombre log cabin blocks are making a most beautiful quilt! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.