Saturday, April 22, 2023

A Fast Quilt for Charity!

I'm happy to be making quilts for Sarah's Hands 2 Help 2023. And, once again, writing a blog to support Sarah's efforts and give you some ideas of what you can make. 


As I was thinking about what I might write about 2 things happened in my life. One was the APQ UFO Challenge for April was #4 which for me was a set of huge flying geese.  Yep, huge - 8.5" by 16.5". I had made them for a block drawing for a retreat years ago and they were wrong. No, size was fine, I just didn't notice it said use batik fabric.  I probably have another group that I won that were batiks but that's for another day.  It was time to do something with them. 

My friend Sharon had cut hers into smaller half square triangles and made some other blocks from them. Hum, could I do that too?  I had two goals -- use the blocks and make a fairly big quilt.  Well, big blocks make big quilts faster. So I trimmed these blocks into 6.5" half square triangles.  I was able to make one 12.5" pinwheel block from each set of two. (I didn't use the white flowers for this project as they didn't go well with the other two.) 


Here's how I cut them up.  I saved the two strips from each triangle for another day. (I see a string quilt in my future.) Then all that was left was to sew the 4 - 6" blocks together. Easy peasy to make a simple block. 

To make a big quilt I needed a lot more blocks. Another benefit of making the blocks 6.5" was I have an AccuQuilt die for that size half square triangle. I started pulling fabrics that were mostly light and darks to go with the existing pinwheel blocks.  And, next thing I know I'm cutting triangles and then I'm sewing them together. Four 6.5" HSTs make a 12" finished block.  At first I thought of this as my "squirrel" project, something that was interrupting my weekly goal lists.  Eventually I figured out it wasn't really a squirrel project because it was listed as "use the big flying geese blocks." A week and a half later I have a finished top. 


My 12.5" blocks made up quickly, made a dent in several different colors of fabric and is a fairly large quilt.  I set the blocks 4 x 5 which makes the quilt approximately 48" x 60".  I have to admit I was tickled that I could get this top made in less than 2 weeks. Quilting is another matter as my long arm is still out for repair.  

Remember I mentioned two things happened? The other was my guild was collecting 12.5" blocks to use for charity quilts. Off to the orphan block box  I went.  And I found several blocks I could pass on. (Check out the picture of 4 blocks from last week's blog.  The two on the left were orphans.) 

And, look what else I found: 

What a great idea -- another fast, easy way to make a 12" block -- made from four 6.5" blocks sewn into the 12.5" block. I'm pretty sure I'll be making some more batik bow tie blocks to be able to put this block into a quilt.  I also found a bunch of other bowtie blocks. So, shouldn't I make some more to go with them? Of course!


Here's what you need to make one 6" finished bowtie. 2 - 3.5" squares of light fabric, 2 - 3.5" squares of medium or dark fabric, and 2 - 2" squares of the same medium or dark. Draw a diagonal line down the center of the 2" squares.

Place a 2" square on a corner of each of the light squares.  Sew on the diagonal line on both squares. Trim the excess fabric leaving a quarter inch seam.  Then flip the triangle over and iron.  I tend to trim up the light triangles after flipping just to make sure they stay at 3.5". 


Lay out the blocks to form the bowtie. 


Sew a purple square to the white with the purple triangle. 

Sew the two halves together. Voila! You have one quarter of a 12" finished bow tie made.  Make three more. These blocks are great for using up smaller pieces of fabrics and are really fast to sew.  

While I was trying to decide on which blocks I would make as 12" blocks I came across this nice web site for blocks. Many times 12" blocks are made from 6" blocks.  You can find various size blocks here with good directions. Here's the link for a 6" finished Pinwheel block. Do you want to print the directions?   Yes, there are a lot of ads but look for the note about how to print (or save) the information without having a lot of ads. It's a separate site but it drops the ads for you and allows you to drop out some of the instructions or pictures if you don't really need them. 

Poke around the web site and you'll find all sorts of interesting info. They even have a section on patriotic quilt patterns. 

Another great web site with LOTS of quilt pattern is Quilter's Cache. As stated on the main page this site has "a gazillion patterns." You can spend days picking and making blocks from their directions. Find the drop down menu on the main page and choose "Quilt Blocks Galore." Then you can look at them either by name or by size. In some ways this is a bit clunky but oh the number of standard blocks and original blocks is amazing.

Here are a few I think would be fairly easy to make: A Dandy, Antique Tile,  Arrowhead Puzzle, Box Kite, Buckeye Beauty, Calico Puzzle and Churn Dash.  Do you get it?  I gave up after "ch" titles because I had way more than I needed to share!  

As you plan your next charity quilt or a quilt for your family, consider using  an easy 12" block. A 3 x 3 setting will yield a 36" square quilt. That 36" square quilt would make a cute baby quilt.  A 3 x 4 block setting would yield a 36 x 48" quilt, a perfect size for a toddler or elementary age child. The 4 x 5 set makes a great lap quilt for teenagers, seniors and most anyone.  And, think how much easier an easy 12" block would make a twin, queen or king quilt! 

If you are trying to make quilt tops quickly pick a 12" block that is easy to make and go to town!  

I'm linking to these parties.  I hope you have some spare time to surf the web! My normal Monday Meanderings will be posted Tuesday, hopefully. 

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 



17 comments:

  1. Your finished top looks great. Love the bowtie blocks, and thanks for the tute! I really like Quilter's Cache, but you are right, the website is clunky. Can't complain about free though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your HST quilt, great ideas today Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really like that block with the blue batiks - love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you got a good bit of spring cleaning done in your sewing room. Orphan blocks gone and repurposed some older blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bowties blocks! I figured out a way to use Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User size bricks (in your example, 2" x 3.5") to make the "knot" with very little waste, and tuted about it: http://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2017/01/bowties.html. I hope this speaks to some of your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is so true that we can make quilts more quickly with bigger blocks, and your pinwheel quilt is a great example of that! Too many times I choose a smaller block. I have used Quilter's Cache for many projects over the years - it's an amazing resource!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas, Bonnie, and happy finishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for both quilt ideas, Bonnie. What a good idea to make larger blocks! I really like your finished pinwheel quilt. Great colors. I have been considering a bowtie quilt for a while. Maybe this is a good time to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What design were the mega-huge geese supposed to be? Great rescue to make jumbo pinwheels. Marcia's Quilter's Cache is a marvel--she's kept it up for nearly 20 years. (The quilting industry should give her an award. Or maybe the Save Our Stories project should interview her.) Any idea when your machine will be back in operation?....And thanks for hopping with H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever use of the jumbo flying geese. The quilt looks wonderful, too. Thanks for the link for the blocks. I’ve used Quilter’s Cache but not the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heck fire!! you were on a roll!!! Love the way you repurposed the flying geese - and Bam!!! a quilt was created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love making big blocks, and big block quilts - and sometimes even turning a single block design into a giant size block/one-block quilt! Thanks for a great post with so many good ideas for charity quilts, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous pinwheel quilt, Bonnie! Yes, to big blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful fabric choices. I like to make big block star quilts. Your ideas are good ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it, Bonnie! I really like working with big blocks. My quilt I just finished has 12" blocks made into 24" blocks! You can just build and build! Cool idea for using those gigantic flying geese blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.