Monday, April 10, 2023

Monday Meanderings 4 - 10 - 2023

Happy Monday Everyone!  Another beautiful week is beginning in the Mid Atlantic states. Weather is forecasted to hit the 80s mid week with one rainy day next weekend.  But hold on!  Don't get too jealous of our weather -- it could change drastically between now and next Monday. Weather is tricky like that. 

Last week was a disaster goals-wise but I had a great week nonetheless. Saturday night we (the Spotsylvanians) sang the Star Spangled Banner at the Fredericksburg Nationals, a farm team of the Washington Nationals. We also were able to enjoy a suite with dinner. It was ridiculously cold out so I was happy to stay inside the room on a fairly comfy couch and watched the game on the TV.  

Sunday our son and daughter-in-law hosted a great brunch at their house for both sides of their families. (We are only 18 kids and adults.) The adults stuffed plastic eggs while the kids were playing all over the place. Then the men went out in the yard (pretty big yard too) to hide the eggs. Kids were from 2 to 12 so some places were hard to find and some were easy.  I don't know why they wouldn't let me fill my basket too! On the other hand I did help a few people (at both ends of the age range) find eggs.  It was so much fun to hang out, talk and play.  Needless to say I fell asleep on the way home.  And, the most remarkable part of the day -- there was hardly any traffic on I-95 going (kind of expected) and very little coming home. (Totally shocking! We were home within an hour.)  

Hum, I might be babbling about our weekend because I really didn't get much done on my goals list. Although I did have one little squirrel I worked on.  What I was suppose to do:

4/3/23

Make plan for APQ UFO Challenge #4 - a group of big flying geese blocks — didn’t even get them out

Clean up cutting table - work on it 15 min a day —ugh only one day. It’s still a mess. 

✅Sew borders on Traffic Jam —finished!

Begin sewing grape quilt together — nothing done.

Make more RSC blocks in green and start purple —started but none finished

Here's Traffic Jam made with 2" squares instead of the 2.5" as written in the free pattern on Pat Sloan's website. You have to scroll down to the bottom to find the link to the free version.  I love how different this pattern looks with different colorations. 


It did make a dent in my 2" squares but I keep cutting more so not that much of a difference. 

Now on to my goals for this week.  Who knows, maybe I'll get a few more done this week. 

4/10/2023

Make more RSC blocks in green and purple

Make plan for big flying geese blocks and start doing it!

Clean up cutting table, put away 2” squares

Begin sewing grape quilt together 

Pick another top to quilt on domestic machine; prepare backing


Here's what I did off list.  Not much but some progress made. Joan is an FCQ Equilter who asked for 6" fin. 9 patches with darker colors in the corner and whites in the alternate blocks. Here's what I've made so far. 



Um, yea, those bottom three don't match the request.  She asked for kid prints or patriotic.  Like most of us in this group we use the blocks to make charity quilts.  I thought I had picked some fun fabrics for kids. Once I reread the directions I realized I have a start of a new quilt with 3 blocks for kids.  Okay then.  I'll keep making blocks for a while and then make a kid size lap quilt from my "mistake".  And I'll keep making blocks for Joan as I like making blocks and sending them off for someone else to finish.


Here are my normal Linky parties.  I hope you can find some spare time to surf the web from these parties. 

Oh Scrap

Design Wall Monday

Monday Musings 

To Do Tuesday

It's time to get doing something in the studio today.  Here's a beautiful redbud I saw at the library last week. (no, it isn't quite as beautiful as the redbud in my header but it is a beautiful flowering spring tree.) 


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

9 comments:

  1. beautiful redbud tree. Ours are about done already - sounds like you had a nice Easter - no little ones here for eggs I don't even bother to decorate them now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was gorgeous and warm. It enjoyed sitting in the sunshine and soaking up vitamin D. It should be nice most of the week. I’m preparing kits to work on at my sister’s house next week. We’re having a mini retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the extended Stapleton family had a nice Easter. Redbuds are breathtaking! They are prevalent in central and southern Illinois. We're too far north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect weekend!! and so much fun!!
    Love your Traffic Jam - thats a great use of squares!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't run across the traffic jam quilt before. What a great stashbuster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may call it a traffic jam but looks like there is a free flow of squares in your stash :-) Scrappy goodness is what I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Traffic Jam is really fun, what a great stash buster. Good luck with this week's list. Hopefully you don't get any weather surprises and get all the nice weather they've forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun stash buster quilt, Bonnie! I love it-and the name, Traffic Jam! Your red bud trees are gorgeous. Ours bloomed early last month. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Traffic Jam quilt is so clever!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.