Thursday, February 15, 2024

All-Star Sampler

Recently, I read on someone's blog that she didn't think anyone would be interested in finishing a project.  Guess what! People do finish other people's unfinished projects. 

Virginia Star Quilters received a plastic box with several finished blocks, extra fabric, a couple of sample blocks, a ruler, and a book, All-Star Sampler. The Community Outreach chair person passed it on to me to see if I would finish it -- or at least do something with it.  There were 9 blocks finished and one nearly finished.   I looked in the box soon after I got it and freaked out. The blocks were beautiful star blocks. There were two settings both with feathered star blocks. The project had been a block of the month project from a store according to a note the quilter left. She said she started it in 1999. The piecing is exquisite.  Take a look at the blocks she's finished.


I originally thought I'd finish another block that is nearly done. And, maybe make one more so there will be 12 blocks.  Um, er, I don't make complicated blocks for the most part. Most, if not all, of these have set in seams. My plan now is to pull out my trusty Circle of Nine book and choose a setting.  No doubt any of them in that book would be easier than the settings in the book, All Star Sampler by Roxanne Carter.  You know I'm not making a feathered star block -- although I have and I actually could.  But, no, not for this. 


After texting back and forth with Nancy, the Community Outreach person, we decided one of the Circle of Nine quilts would work. We think the finished quilt might be a raffle quilt, or possibly donate to another organization to use as a fund raiser. Here's what the design will (hopefully) look like. As shown it would be 68" square. The blocks are 12" and the outside border is 8.5".  I'm not sure it will end up that big but it's what we're thinking about.  

I did an inventory of all the fabric that was included.  The multicolor print on black ground has a whole bunch of fabric already cut at 6.5".  Other fabrics have 2 yards or less.  If I remember correctly the "F" rectangles need about 2 yards. Hum, I just noticed the light background squares "D". There isn't a lot of background left -- hopefully just enough.  If we're lucky,  the only fabric that will be purchased is the backing. 


I'll keep you posted as I begin to work through this challenge.  I doubt it will be high on my list to complete soon but I should be able to finish it if I work on it off and on over the next few months. Part of my issue is I'm trying to finish a lot of my UFOs and quilt some of the many tops I have.  And, a surprise group of quilts for a customer.  I'll be busy. 

Have you decided what you will do with your stash, sewing machines, UFO's and finished quilts? I mean, when you are either not around or unable to keep working on them?  

I have a plan -- my daughter will be responsible for moving out my sewing supplies. She's a quilter but she has a tiny little sewing space so she's not going to be able to keep most of what I have. (Remember, books, rulers, threads, long arm, old projects -- the list just keeps on going.) I will try to leave some ideas of where she can donate quilts and supplies to that will benefit others. 

She rolls her eyes at me when I tell her I've gotten rid of things.  A while ago I gave away a big bag of paper panto patterns for long arm quilting. *eye roll* I was happy to pass it on to a lady who had a fairly new long arm and was thrilled to take them. (I'm also working on my yarn collection making frame knit hats.) 

I am continuing to move UFOs into tops. I've cut back on fabric buying -- except for specific projects or backing. I think in the last 2 or 3 years I've only gotten a 3 or 4 books. I sporadically sell some of my supplies or give them away on the free table at the guild.  So I am trying.  But I hope to never give up on quilting. If I have any luck sewing through my fabric collection it would be some what easier.  Have you put any thought into your quilting supplies? 

I'm linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation, Alycia's Finished or Not Friday, Can I Get a Whoop, Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and Beauties Pageant at From Bolt to Beauty.  Take some time to visit. A lot is  going on with quilters around the world. I'll be back to link up the other posts on Friday -- if I remember... UGH! Saturday morning and I finally remembered! 

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie

11 comments:

  1. I am absolutely living the spirit behind this post. At nearly 70, I figure I have 10-15 good years left. So yes, I'm looking at my stash, my projects, my unfinished business and taking some serious accounting.

    In a recent post on my blog (https://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2024/02/never-ending.html) I discussed the realization that in my final years I may be The Finisher. I've joined a group that not only makes quilts for good causes, but also is the recipient of many down-sizing efforts and surviving relative's donations. My personal stash is dwindling, purposefully, but my sewing skills and artistic eye are still active and I can see myself spending my final decade or so finishing the projects of others.

    I've also discovered an organization nearby that's thrilled to take gently-used craft items (in my case "Austin Creative Reuse"), to which I'll be donating several items of my own, as well as stuff that came from my mother's creative stash.

    Thank you for a thoughtful and timely post. We ALL need to be thinking of what we can do while we're still here, not only to help others, but to be less of a burden to those we leave behind.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just emptied out a walk-in closet full of fabric, notions, etc of someone who at nearly 80 is moving to a retirement community and who has given up quilting. My car was filled to the brim. Luckily, on Freecycle, someone had asked for help to start learning to quilt. She went home with SO MUCH, including projects she wants to finish, like appliqued butterflies. My guild members took the rest. But it really brings it home. Why am I saving "special fabrics"? For when? And who will clean up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous -- you've brought up so many good ideas for moving quilting things to others. I can't imagine how many trips would be needed if someone were to pack up my stuff and move it! I have a rather large basement room. Hopefully I'm cutting back on my purchases -- and if not your comment makes me want to.

      Delete
  3. Taking on someone else's project can be daunting, you came up with a reasonable plan to use those beautifully pieced blocks. I don't have a plan yet on my quilting supplies, other than I have slowed down on fabric purchases, mostly limiting purchases to what's needed to complete a project. I've been working on decluttering the rest of the house and trying to lighten the load for our daughter. I'll eventually get to the sewing stuff. But you are very wise to have a plan in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about the subject various times but yes we need to decide what to do with all the stuff in the sewing room - I'm sure my husband has no clue what this is all worth. And yes there are people who love to take others finished blocks or quilt tops and finish them - so many love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, my daughter is designated to distribute my stash and studio supplies. Also my local friend who also quilts is a beneficiary! lol I do love the job of taking quilts to finish them! It's a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful pieced blocks! I like your plan and setting for using them up. I have made a feathered star and after seeing a demonstration, it wasn't too hard. Really! But I, too, am finishing up things this year and have cleared out 3 very large bags of fabrics, patterns, and stuff. So much more left, though. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OPUFOs (Other People's UFOs) can provide a jolt of creativity. Just because the original piecer had a particular design in mind doesn't mean that the end product has to follow it. The Circle of Nine is a great idea. As for What To Do With the Stash -- that has been on my mind as I've gone to five installments of one local quiltmaker's sale, with #6 next Tuesday. One concern is that the quiltmakers I hang out with (on line and in person) are around my age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, I like that circles of 9 layout, Bonnie!!! Good thing her blocks were pieced well. One of the main reasons I've seen for quilters not wanting to finish other's quilts is that things aren't matching up right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy working with orphan blocks and have finished several projects started by others. It’s challenging and satisfying. Yes,I’ve made arrangements for my fabric stash and machines, yarn stash and knitting needles. Until then,I’m doing what I can to put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh that circle of nines setting will make those blocks just pop!! and yes! others do finish others projects - go yoU!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.