Sunday, February 25, 2024

Monday Meanderings 2 - 26 -2024

Hello All! I've got way too much to squeeze into this blog post but I'm going to try to keep it a reasonable length.  Just a note -- I went to the Univ. of Southern California School of Journalism. I started in straight journalism but ended up with a degree in Public Relations.  I like to write. Although I go back and edit my blog posts to tighten them up, I have been known to carry on (and on.) Ok, moving right along to goals. 

2/19/24

✅Quilt and bind two baby quilts — I turned over these two quilts to binding elves. 

✅Make some FCQ Equilter blocks -- 2 are started, none are done. 

✅Work on Happy Blocks -- Yep, made some more of various sizes.

✅Finish Feb Malted Mystery clue -- Done! 

Update Accuquilt Dies in app and online -- Came up with a list but didn't update anything. 


Here's my Malted Mystery top all up to date!

Bummer. The color is much more pleasing than this shows. What looks like black is actually a dark purple.

Two baby quilts were quilted. Most of the fabrics were reproduction 30s fabrics that were given to the guild. Remember me talking about washing fabric? I pulled out all the pink 30s repro animal prints and cut them up into bricks. (I used my 3.5" x 6.5" brick die and cut them all on the Accuquilt.) There were enough bricks for 2 quilts. My friend Karen sewed the blocks together. Then I quilted both of them using more 30s repo fabric for the back. I turned them into the guild on Wednesday night and they will be given off to binding elves to finish up. 


And now, here's what I will be doing this week. 

2/26/24

Bind Picket Fence Quilt

Bind secret project (Look for the reveal on Wed. March 6.) 

Make some more FCQ Equilter blocks

Attend the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show 

Sew the green, blacks, & white 3 yard quilt

Update the Accuquilt online and app


I did have one big off list project this week. Sunday I spent the day quilting the Picket Fence top that I finished in 2022.  Late last year I bought a bunch of backing fabrics including a nice teal backing for the Picket Fence top.  (You can see the finished top here.) I will post the finished quilt soon. (Unless I forget!) 

In an effort to lessen the unfinished top collection I have,  I am going to try to quilt a couple tops a month. I know I have at least 7 (probably more) with backings and some with batting. So hopefully I'll get another couple done in March. I guess I need to stop finishing tops too. (😬 right!)

On to 15 Minutes to Stitch. Not bad! 
  • 15 minute days/week = 7/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Feb = 25/25 days
  • 15 minute days/2024 = 56/56 days
  • Success rate = 100%

It's ridiculously late but here are my stashbusting statistics for January.  Last year I decided I wouldn't keep track of fabric in and out. Eventually, I realized I did better knowing whether I was using up fabric or just endlessly adding to my fabric stash. I don't particularly like figuring out the fabric I use but at least I'll know whether I am using up the stash.  Here's January's results. Not bad.  I hope I finish a bit more in February. 

2023

Fabric In Month

Fabric In Year

Fabric Out 

Month

Fabric Out Year

Total In or Out Year



Jan

5.5

5.5

11.625

6.125

6.125


So far I haven't purchased any fabric in February.  I suspect that will change when we go to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt show.  Maybe I can have strong March finishes with no purchases. 

Later this week I hope to post a new month of Mysteries, Quilt Alongs, and Little Gifts.  I thought I'd mention one freebie you might want to check out now. Fabric Cafe has been releasing a free quilt pattern.  I haven't figured out how often they've done it so I just check back every month. However, I just checked and they have 3 of their early 3 Yard Quilt patterns available free now.  Here's the link to the free patterns. One thing to know if you haven't used any 3 yard patterns: They allow for an "economy" binding so it isn't double fold. If you prefer a double fold binding buy more fabric or use something from your stash. 

You might want to look over the other info Fabric Cafe has available there too. I was particularly interested in the sheet listing how much double fold binding you need to make for various sizes of 3 yard quilts. Note -- they base the totals on 2.25" binding. Have fun checking out their videos too. 

I'm ready to finish reading my latest novel -- I'm about 75% done and I'd like to finish it tonight. Here are the Linky parties I post to. Please go check out some other blogs. You'll come away with lots of great ideas. 

Monday Musings

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

 





10 comments:

  1. A very good post! The Malted Mystery is very energetic--love the colors. The pink bricks are so pretty; nice job. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame the internet and email for rambling writing because the style has gotten far more conversational. We don't edit enough prior to pressing the "publish" button. Your Malted Mystery turned out nicely--such pretty colors. Hope you're able to reduce the TBQ (to be quilted) stack in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to ramble on as though someone is sitting right here in my sewing room with me and we are having a conversation I guess. I have also gone back to edit my post before I hit schedule and sometimes delete whole paragraphs lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Malted Mystery top with its fun colors! Purple - especially the dark kind - is always hard to photograph. Fun to know that you were a journalism major and writer! Both of my sons are in that profession.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Malted Mystery turn out great even if hard to photograph! The bricks are a great Comfort Quilt and hope your to be quilted pile gets smaller! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a journalism degree from the other USC, University of South Carolina College of Journalism. My focus was news/editorial, of which I only spent 7 months as a newspaper reporter. Next job was public information/relations for 5 and a half years, followed by a 27-year career in marketing. I don't blog but enjoy reading quilt blogs (I do quilt). Love the 30s pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty pink quilt...good luck with your plans...time passes so darn quick...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVES the confession part! "on and on" is what I also lean towards. 8-)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you started in Journalism - that is a cool thing to learn about you!
    Love your Malted Mystery - its so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Malted Mystery is looking good. Dark purples and blues are so hard to photograph too. I really like the design that Cheryl came up with this year,. Yeah for 100% stitching time. Do you think you can keep that up in March?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.