Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Monday, er, Wednesday Meanderings

My  last top of the 2017 was also my first finish for 2018.  I quilted and bound it over the last week or so.   I quilted it with Omni thread on the top and Magna Glide in the bobbin.  Both were a light blue although you can't really see it well in the picture.  I have a lot of Magna Glide bobbins so I'm happy to use some up.  Someone on the Nolting Longarm group I belong to suggested using Magna Glide with the Omni.  It worked well enough but I'm not sure I would do it a lot.  Plus, I have limited colors in Omni from Superior.  The pattern is Ariana by Donna Kleinke.


I also finished quilting another charity quilt for Faithful Circle Quilters in Columbia, Md.   Ruthie 2 produces such a nice stitch and is so easy to use I'm getting as much time in quilting as I can. I used Bebop digital design, Sew Fine #471, a light turquoise.  The guild provides me with batting so I'm not sure what was used on this. 


Last week  and this weeks goals...
January 8, 2018
Finish sweater (a UFO since the 1980s!) Making progress
Quilt FCQ charity Quilt
Cut out Alphabet Challenge pieces; start sewing
Finish piecing 2017 Rainbow Challenge top #1√ center done
Clean studio & house for In House Retreat 1/11 – 1/15 and have fun with my friends!

January 15, 2018
Bind balloon quilt
Sew together Alphabet Challenge quilt
Put borders on 2017 Rainbow Challenge top #1
Keep working on sweater (a UFO since the 1980s!)
Keep working on half triangle squares

Here are a couple more pictures from our trip.  We signed up for a snorkeling excursion in Roatan.  Here are the two catamarans that we traveled to the snorkeling location on. 
Here we are on the catamaran -- I think the boats are at the location when I snapped this picture of Pat. 
And, the crew was passing out equipment here. 
And these were my downfall.  
We've snorkeled before so we went out with the experienced group.  They were going to explore reefs a distance from the boat.  I'm in the water.  Pat's in the water.  I can't keep up with anyone.  Pat slows down to help me and then I realize -- I forgot my flippers.  No wonder I couldn't keep up.  Needless to say I failed snorkeling 102.  (My college classes always started the easiest classes as 101, next level was always 102...)  I had to give up and be towed back to the ship by a kayaker.  The only thing that saved my pride was I wasn't the first one to give up.  IF there is a next time I'm going with the novices.  The other big issue is that I can't see much without my glasses so I wasn't going to see all that much any way. It was a nice day on the water and I probably should have just enjoyed a short swim or float in the water rather than trying to actually snorkel.  

That's it for me today.  I still have some pics from the trip.  The snorkeling trip was actually a month ago today.  Sigh. I'm sitting in the living room looking at snow on the roofs.  Luckily, it'll all melt by tomorrow. 

I'm linking up with Midweek Makers, WIPS on Wednesdays, and Wednesday Wait Loss.  I may get motivated on Thursday to add some more linky parties -- come back to see where else I might be surfing (the Net...) Now it is really time to go sew today.  I've got several blocks to make and a border to put on a quilt.

Happy Quilting All!  Bonnie 

10 comments:

  1. I tried snorkling in Mexico on a cruise. Gagged on the first mouthful of sea water and couldn't see squat w/o glasses, either. So now I can at least say I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t like snorkeling. I get real Claustrophobic when I snorkel. So this time when we went to Hawaii I decided not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snorkeling isn't in the cards for me - I don't know how to swim. I took lessons about 15 years ago and failed miserably. I'm afraid of the water. I could probably save myself by floating if I forgot I was in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From where I sit (with below 0 temperatures), that photo of you with ocean behind looks very inviting. And warm!

    I like both of your quilts but I especially like the 9-patch. I'm not sure what exactly draws me to it but I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place to go for your trip! Sorry the snorkeling didn't work out, but as you say, it was a gorgeous day and the water was fine! Wow you are making such progress on your WIPs. I gotta try that Bebop quilting pattern. Learning to longarm is on my list for this year. Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how sad the lack of flippers made you miss out! But don't give up on snorkeling - next time you'll definitely remember those flips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to snorkel, but I'm not a strong swimmer at all. Nice finishes on the quilts. Bebop is an interesting quilting motif!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leaving your flippers on the boat sounds like something I'd do, lol! Ah, but you got to be in the water and experience that. I was fortunate to get to swim in the Mediterranean off of Santorini - I almost didn't, but I just really wanted to have that experience. SO MUCH FUN!!! And fun quilts you've made here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't do snorkeling. I feel too claustrophobic for some reason. My loss! That's a fun, perky finish - nice January project to see some cheer. But, Oh MY!!!! Your banner photo is amazing with that gorgeous quilt under the huge canopy of matching blossoms!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.