Thursday, January 17, 2013

Triangle Thursday #3


Art Square
This design is #2403 from Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.  This is also listed as Village Square. You can get a downloadable PDF version here. 



Cutting directions are in 4” and 6” finished sizes.
Fabric
Number to cut
4”
 6”
Center -- fish print
1
3 3/8” x 3 3/8”
4 ¾ x 4 ¾”
Squares – blue
4
1 ½” x 1 ½”
2” x 2”
Triangles -- orange
8
Use the 1” triangle template
Use the 1 1/2"
triangle  template


For template directions go to Triangle Thursday #2.  As you use your templates be sure you are not trimming the template as you cut your fabrics.  If you find you are, make a new one and throw away the old.

Art Square ready for piecing.


Make the shaded corners first.  Sew one triangle to a square.  Iron the seam to the square.  (First row of pictures.) Add the second triangle lining up the square and the triangle on the right side. Sew and iron toward the triangle. (Bottom right photo.)  The finished unit should look like the bottom left photo. Repeat for all 4 units.

If you are planning to keep this block square rather than on-point, cut the center square on the bias or whatever direction to keep your design going the right way. (I didn't think of this for the fish fabric!)  Before cutting, starch the fabric to help control the bias.  Cut.  Mark the center of two opposing sides. Fold the shaded corners in half and crease with your thumbnail. Line up the two marks.  Sew the two opposing seams.  Iron toward the center block. Be careful ironing if the center square is cut on the bias.  Repeat with the two remaining opposing seams.  Notice how nicely the second set of corner triangles line up. Sew and iron the seams away from the center.


 Carefully press the block flat. Trim to the correct size if necessary.


The 6” block is on point while the smaller one is straight.  
 

I have a distinct feeling that my blocks are not going to be able to be set together for a quilt.  Hum, must mean I'll have to dive into my stash to make things that will go with them.  Today's confession is I was really tempted yesterday as I made these blocks to just whack some triangles off some strips with my Easy Angle.  But, I was good and kept diving into my triangle cut offs to find these.  And, I had to unsew the turquoise from little half square triangles to get them.  I have seen NO dent in my collection.  Sigh. Enjoy using your triangles.

Happy quilting!  


     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.