Thursday, January 10, 2013

Triangle Tuesday #2


Jan. 10, 2013
Sawtooth Star
This design is #1136 from Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. You can find a PDF of the instructions by going to Google Docs.  I need someone's help.  Would someone try to download the directions from Google Docs and let me know if you actually can do that?  I am hoping it is working like it looks it is but I'm not sure. Thanks to all who let me know it isn't working the way I expect it too.  I've tried a new setting. Thanks. 

 

Cutting directions are in 4” and 6” finished sizes.
Fabric
Number to cut
4”
 6”
Center – green turquoise print
1
2 ½” x 2 1/2”
3 ½” x 3 ½”
Geese background - green
4
1 ½” x 2 ½”
2” x 3 ½”
Geese wings - turquoise
8
See below
See below
Corner background - green
4
1 ½” x 1 ½”
2” x 2”

I decided I needed a better way to figure out whether my cut off triangles would fit in a particular block.  Therefore I made myself some templates to help figure this out. To make a template for a 4” block cut a square 1 ½”.    Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.  Then draw a parallel line ¼” away. Cut off the small triangle that is left. The template for a 6” block starts with a 2” square, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner and then draw another line ¼” away. Cut off the small triangle. Mark the first template 1” and the second one 1 ½”. 



Test your waste triangles to make sure they are the right size for the flying geese wings.  I also used the template to trim the triangle to the correct size.  I found it easier to get accurate wings by drawing a line on the actual fabric ¼” away from the long edge of the triangle .


 Make the geese units by laying a triangle away from the corner, stitch on the line, iron to the corner. Trim the back fabric.  Repeat on the other side.



Layout the pieces as shown below.  Sew in rows.  Iron toward the plain blocks.  Sew the rows together.


Using these waste triangles is time consuming but I love the idea of utilizing small left over pieces.  Hum, turquoise and lime green?  I think I’ve been influenced by Bonnie Hunter’s Easy Street mystery. 

I've had way too many comments listing odd web addresses recently. I guess I'm going to have to add the capcha (or whatever that is called!) for a while. If that doesn't stop it I'll have to go to moderation.  Why can't folks just play nicely!?  

5 comments:

  1. I says I need to permission to access your document. I think there is a setting you have to change to make it public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to request access. I like how you are showing ways to use those waste cut-offs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded it just fine. Wish I could figure out how to add my own documents! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried again, and it came through fine. I like your idea of making the paper templates. I have a lot of waste triangles from sewing binding strips together, and the pile just grows. I'll have to have a play day with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.