Friday, September 6, 2013

What Do You Think?

I've now completed all of the orange peels for my little quilt.  The background squares are 3 3/4" -- not all that big.  But it was great fun appliqueing them.  I used the starch method to turn under the seams which I wrote about here.  With the peels all prepped it was a matter of minutes to applique each one down.  Needless to say I didn't do them all at once! But now they are ready to be sewn together. 

What do you think?  Is this a good layout? I've been moving these around off and on for a day or three. I keep checking for the background colors not to be the same repeatedly.  Also, I want to mix up the colors well.  Most of the pale yellows and pale pinks I tossed and made new peels. 

Hum, the darker background fabrics need to be spread out a little better.  They appear to be clumped together in various areas.  And, it looks like two of the yellows are in a row diagonally.  It's so much easier to see these type of things in a photograph.  I'll wait to hear from you guys before I move too much. 

I have one more little quilt ready to sew together.  Something like 48 1-3/8th inch triangle squares.  I know, 1 3/8" is a ridiculous number.  But I had a bunch of little pre-sewn triangles that squared up at that number.  It was all laid out and ready to be sewn when, well, a picture is worth a thousand words... 
I was using a funny little vacuum near Ruthie.  The darn thing blew these little pieces off the cutting mat and all over the table and floor.  Rats.  The worse is that I had many blocks I had rejected next to it and they are all intermingled.  Sigh, back to arranging them! 

The best part is I am enjoying the studio and making some progress.  The huge design wall is full with 3/4th of a quilt laid out.  I hope to finish all the blocks before Monday's Design Wall post.  I'm planning on focusing on those and the QOV blocks over the next few days.  Now to get back to work! 

Happy Quilting All! 


4 comments:

  1. I love it, Bonnie. The orange peel quilt is beautiful. And boy are those triangle pieces small.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really liking the orange peel quilt. The darks aren't bothering me so much, what I'm noticing is the diagonal line down from the upper left corner. Many of the peels are yellow/gold to my eye. Maybe if you trade out one of them in the middle to break up the "line?" I'm sorry about the vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Orange Peel! Glad you are enjoying your new studio in spite of that nasty little vacuum experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiny, tiny pieces!

    No matter how much you move and rearrange the blocks it is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.