Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pin Cushion Swap

Small Quilt Talk yahoo chat group had a pin cushion swap that ended a few weeks ago.  I forgot to share the pin cushions with you. 

First up is the pin cushion I received from Rebecca L. 
It looks perfect with my Singer Featherweight sewing machine.  And, I love that it is full of ground walnut shells.  I prefer ground walnut shells or even sand over polyester fiber fill.  The fiber fill will rust pins or needles in humid climates. For the most part I use my pins and cushions enough that I shouldn't have that problem but having the alternate fill means I don't have to think about it.   

Here's a little felt lamb pin cushion I sent to Rebecca.  This is the top.  I used a poly wool felt for the green background and the little design.  Hum, can't remember who designed the animal. If you would like to know just drop me a note and I'll look it up.

And here's what it looked like from the side.  I used a matching cotton fabric.  It was a bit of a trial and error event trying to get a decent sized pin cushion.  The pattern called for a pretty flat cushion which didn't seem to make much sense to me.  I USE my pin cushions.   I too used the ground walnut shells.  I put them in a muslin "bag" to keep them contained if the cushion popped a seam or some such thing.  

I tried making a couple of cathedral windows pin cushions without great success.  I will probable put a neat button on top of the more successful one and use it.  My problem was mostly over stuffing the things!  

This was a fun swap and I learned so much about making pin cushions!  Hum, now do I want to make more?  I found some needle point pieces that might make a great top for a pin cushion ... so I may keep trying. (I have no idea what I was thinking of when I did the needlepoint pieces!  It was years and years ago!) 

Happy quilting all!  

2 comments:

  1. I use a magnetic "pincushion" I don't think I even have my tomato cushion any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pincushions. I still use the one I made from a 9 patch block when I first started quilting 20 something years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.