It has been a great week or two. A week and a half ago Pat and I went down to our beach house in Nags Head. He had some windows to replace and I was going to count silverware.(It's amazing how much silverware vanishes when tenants are at the house.) And, we were going shopping. I came down a day later than he did as I had things to do at home and I was going to visit Sharon after Nags Head.
By Friday all the windows were done. I'd pulled out my sewing machine and had stitched a bit. But our main activity was to get new furniture for the great room. So off we went to a local furniture store that actually had furniture in stock. (Thank goodness!) It didn't take us all that long to pick out a sofa, love seat, barrel chair, two end tables, and two new lamp shades. It helps that there weren't a thousand choices and everything pretty much gave off the beachy feel. Everything was delivered the next day. (Our saleslady said that ordered furniture was scheduled out 14 months!)
✅Enjoy sewing with Sharon
✅Finish sashing 16 patch stars
✅Border glorified 9 patch and oops friendship stars didn’t get bordered
✅Finish all the turquoise blocks and nope, not sewn together
✅Sew some string blocks
Sew more ombré log cabin blocks — nothing done on this either
Here's this week's list:
Quilt Jenny's quilt
Border friendship stars
Sew ombré blocks together
Clear off the right side of design wall
Figure out turquoise blocks
Keep making string blocks
I was happy I worked on almost everything listed on the goals list. As usual, Sharon and I had fun. I came home Thursday ready to sit around and not do all that much. But by Saturday I was back working in the studio. Sharon inspired me to clean up some of the mess on my cutting table. (Of course, what I did was get an empty plastic bin and put lots of scraps in it.) The fat quarters strewn about were put in my storage system mostly based on colors.
Then I went back to work on my to do list. All the turquoise blocks were made but I ran into problems trying to figure out a layout. Here's my first layout. I had planned to alternate dark strips on the outside of the blocks with light strip blocks.Um, this didn't do anything for me. I love the fabrics but they just don't work this way. I decided to see what it would look like in greyscale. Hum...
Do you know about using grey scale? On my iPhone or Mac I can choose to make it black and white. It really looks horrible without the color but does show what reads dark and what reads light. Of note is the one 2nd row, 1st block. It's really light compared to the rest of them. I took a close look at the pattern (a Villa Rosa Designs postcard pattern called Voyager. Click on the link to see their version.) They didn't alternate light and dark blocks. In fact most of the blocks are more medium to dark and are scattered around rather than placed purposely. So everything got moved again.
Oops, that really light one (and maybe the wrong color) sticks out still. This is better but the second row needs to be dispersed so the whole row doesn't look light. My plan now is to make some decisions about placement and possibly changing some of the blocks that stick out. Definitely the one that looks light pink. (It's really light purple and blue....)