Sunday, March 20, 2022

Monday Meanderings 3 - 21 - 2022

 What a wonderful week I had!  Pat and I headed south to our beach home in Nags Head, NC for the week.  One evening we hit the beach for a moon rise. 

I packed projects, my trusty Featherweight, and supplies. I was able to make progress on the Stop Tossing Mystery.  I'll add the borders sometime in the next week or two. I also made quite a few more Spice Web and Happy Blocks. Let's see how I did on my goals list.

3/14/22

✅Work on Stop Tossing mystery quilt

✅Make more Red Spider Web blocks 

✅Make 7 more Easy Breezy blocks 

Sash the Easy Breezy blocks

Make March block from Sherri McConnell’s BOM

It was a successful week of sewing.  And what do I plan to do this coming week? 

3/21/22

Work on Easy Breezy Blocks

Make a few more Spider Web blocks 

Make shoo fly blocks for SAHRR 

Prep and work on wool ornament

Send quilt show entries to FCQ


I decided to change what I plan to do with the Easy Breezy blocks.  I laid them all out on my design wall again.  Do you have a favorite quilter to consult with when trying to decide what to do with a project?  My consultant is my friend Sharon.  We don't live near each other anymore but we send pictures back and forth when we need some ideas.  Here's what we decided.



Last week's blog shows this same group of blocks set up with sashing.  I started by laying out the blocks with sashing space. I figured out block placement at the same time. Then I used my camera to show them in grey scale.  It was pretty surprising how dark some of the blocks looked and even more the ones that appeared really light with little contrast. After a lot of back and forth we agreed it would look fine without sashing. It still needs some sorting but I was done for the day. I'll look at them tomorrow with fresher eyes. 


A highlight of my trip to the OBX was visiting a new quilt shop in Nags Head.  It's actually within walking distance of our house.   


The Rusty Crow is at milepost 11 (my best guess.) Some of you may recognize them -- they've been vending at quilt shows for many years, especially on the west coast.  

Shawn, the owner, was a great help when I was deciding which of her very cute ocean-related ornaments I wanted to buy for my grands this year.  


You can see the Shark here. Eventually I picked 4 kits.  I hope to start the first one this week. 


Here's a look inside the store: 

Wools on the tables and cottons on the shelves.  Evidently Shawn and her husband have been trying to get the building remodeled to better suit her products but it's hard to get work done in the Outer Banks these days. Now, she's hoping to start in the fall. 

This side had all sorts of patterns, Valdani threads, and notions. 

I may have already decided on my ornaments for 2023. 


If you visit the Outer Banks and you're interested in quilting and wool -- this is a must see shop.  I'm looking forward to visiting again on our next trip to Nags Head. 


Here are the details on the shop. 


The Rusty Crow

111 W. Seachase Drive

Nags Head, NC 


Web Address:  


On to the Linky parties I support. Please take some time to check them out and see what's new with quilters across the Internet. 

Oh Scrap

Monday Making

Design Wall Monday 

To Do Tuesday 


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 




11 comments:

  1. Rusty Crow is at MP 14 in Nags Head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. easy breezy looks nice - I have wondered what I was going to do with all my blocks too

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to have a beach home and then to find you have a quilt shop within walking distance must be nice. I would probably move to the beach house for the whole summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my not sure i saw anything beyond the ocean...i miss it so..but no doubt you had fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a delight your post is! The full moon was beautiful this week -- lucky you to catch it over the water. Your no-sash setting for the scrappy blocks looks great. We have never been to the Outer Banks. Think we oughta/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky can you get, a beach home and a close quilt shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Monday, Bonnie. I am so glad you were able to make it to your beach home. Did you bring your new quilt to hang? Such a pretty beach photo. How fun to be able to visit a quilt shop. Love your Easy Breezy quilt. So many fun beautiful fabrics playing nicely together. Have a wonderful week. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on your goals last week! My quilt consultants are my sister and niece: they are good about giving opinions. The quilt shop looks nice.I like the “sweater” ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh I love that beach photo!!!
    and what fun to visit a new quilt shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, too much fun, Bonnie!!! The beach and a quilt shop!!! Plus some sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your beach photo! Sounds like you had a relaxing but productive time away. Good luck with your stitching plans for this week. Hopefully, you've already made really good progress on that front.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.