Sunday, January 7, 2024

Monday Meanderings 1 - 8 - 2024

 

 Happy New Year

2024

Now we are a week into 2024 I'm back at my blog.  I decided to take a one week blogging break.  It turned out that I got a bunch of things done in the studio. I cleaned up some of the horizontal surfaces. A new Accucut Big came into the studio and some sewing was completed.  

Here's the results of my goals dated January 1, 2024.

1/1/24

✅Bind small quilt or 2 — 1 quilt bound.

✅Wash, dry and fold some fabric — one load done.

✅Finalize UFO list & quilts I’d like to make in 2024 — still need quilts-to-make list.

✅✅✅Make 3 or 4 walker bag kits — made many kits to take to guild. 


Here's what I hope to do this week.  I can't figure out if these are enough items or whether more should be added.  I generally try to pick goals that I can actually complete during the week. Hopefully all of these will get done.  


1/8/24

Finish 3 yard quilt top

Make backing for and quilt small strippy quilt

Start on UFO appliqué block 

Bind 30 Something quilt and strippy

Iron one or two backing fabrics

Wash, dry and fold the last of the red fabrics


The washing, drying, and folding of fabric took a hiatus for most of this past week. I think all I have left can be washed in one load. One of things I've been doing with each load is throwing in some Color Catchers™ and Color Grabbers™. I've used Color Catchers™ for years and find they do absorb color from the wash water.  For these loads I've been throwing in lots of them.  



Here are the results from my last fabric load that was reds and one piece of purple. I tend to reuse the sheets but most of these were new for this wash.  The small ones are Color Grabbers™ and the larger ones are Color Catchers™. From what I remember the prices are similar.  I prefer the Color Catchers as they are bigger and I assume they will absorb more color.   Do you use any form of color controller when you wash your fabrics or your quilts?  I've gotten in the habit of washing all fabrics when they come into the house.  That way I don't worry about shrinkage nor bleeding. 



I've been using Shout Color Catcher™ for years. I tried Carbona Color Grabber ™ when I saw it recently at my local grocery store. 


This is the little strippy quilt I made. The dark strip is actually a teal that blends with the cat and dog fabrics. Whoops! Just noticed the cats are smaller than the dogs. Except for the teal strip the rest of the fabrics came from fabrics I've been washing for my local quilt guild.  Hopefully I'll have it quilted and bound by the next meeting. If you'd like some basic instructions for a strippy quilt check out Mary Quilts.  Here's a direct link to her Quick Strippie pattern.  I've made several over the years but generally divvy up my fabric based on how much I have of each.  You might guess that I had very little of the teal for the above top! I actually like how Mary's examples have the cute print fabric do the majority of the work. Unfortunately I had very little of the dog and the cat fabric so I used the bright yellow to make it big enough to give to one of the charities.


And, for my last photo of this post -- here's a pic of all the spools I emptied in 2023. Honestly, this was a pretty sparse year for me. Lowest year: 7.  Highest year: 30.  This year's 12 isn't great.  I do know I have at least 3 almost empty long arm cones.  Hopefully 2024 will see more spools used up. The average since I started keeping track (2012) is 19.25. Do you keep count of the cones and spools you use? 



I'm  joining in with Kate's 15 Minutes to Stitch for 2024.  Visit her blog Life in Pieces to see how she did and other folks also trying for at least 15 minutes a day. Here are my first week results. 

  • 15 minute days/week = 7/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Jan = 7/7 days
  • 15 minute days/2024 = 7/7 days
  • Success rate = 100%
Boy that makes me look so successful!  And, considering I did sew every day I guess I was successful!  Since I try to blog on Sunday evening I'm showing my week from Mondays to Sundays.  My goal is to be successful 80% of the time.  We'll see how I do on this new endeavor. 

I'm linking up with my regular Linky Parties.  I hope to do a bit of internet surfing this week.  I've been so focused on my sewing I just haven't been reading other blogs for the last week or two.  Join me surfing the internet with these Linky parties. 

 

Here's hoping we all have a great 2024.  Think of all the quilts we can make this year.  And for those of us working on UFOs -- won't it be fabulous to move some along and maybe finish some?  


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 




16 comments:

  1. I grabbed a box of Color Catchers as I was out of them last week - I saw the other brand but had no experience with them so didn't get them glad to see they work too - I don't know if size matters or not

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISHED I had used Color Grabbers when a table runner ran in colors I never expected that to happen to!!!! lol Nice week 1 of January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new accuquilt big, Christmas present? I haven't made any decisions of what I want to accomplish this year, other than keep on quilting! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes taking a week off is just a needed break. Looks like you did well on your last to do list. Good luck with this week. And definitely year for 100% so far in January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! The past few years I have not been rigorous about washing fabric -- batiks and homespuns but not 'regular' quilt fabric. But I'm grateful that the women conducting the ongoing estate sale (part 5 coming later this month) do wash all of that fabric........Did you get an entirely new Accuquilt? I assume the dies are interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Re: spools. I used to save them and count them but now I recycle the plastic as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the past I used the Shout brand--but the smell of those always made me sneeze etc--then I discovered the yellow box brand and love them--no smell--and my local grocery store--Publix often has them on sale --buy one-get one--I use them in my regular laundry every week and depending how many dark clothes I have whether I use 2 or 3 sheets--it's one of the greatest things that someone invented in my book--
    hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bonnie! Happy New Year to you. I didn't realize there are two different color catcher-esque on the market. I've only used the Shout version but will check for the other brand. Who knew?! I am a fan of Mary from Mary Quilts fame as well as her quick strippie. The yellow really makes your recent finish bright and happy looking. Here's to more spools being emptied in 2024! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute strippie quilt! I have used many Color Catchers over the years, but not the other brand. They work for washing finished quilts, too. I've never kept track of my empty spools, but it would be interesting to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've used shout exclusively and always been happy with the outcome...happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently grabbed a box of the Carbona Color Grabbers, but can't remember if it was from MegaLoMart or my local grocery chain. Regardless, I'm just as happy with them as I was/am with the Shout brand.

    I always wash new fabric before it enters my stash, WITH a Grabber/Catcher sheet or two, and always throw a Grabber/Catcher sheet in with the initial hot-water wash of any completed quilt. I'm never sorry.

    A few weeks ago I threw a fresh Grabber in with the rinse of something (no idea what, now), without effect. It emerged as white as it started. I'm not one to reuse these things, but in this case I made an exception/experiment. When I washed a newly-completed quilt this afternoon, I threw in the used sheet (with a corner cut off for identification) and a brand new Grabber sheet, mainly to see if the effectiveness of the used sheet might have been compromised simply by having gone through a rinse cycle. It was, slightly, but the difference between the two sheets was negligible. Good information to know, huh?

    Empty spools? Don't count 'em. I'm just happy to have them gone and not cluttering up the drawer and basket in which I store my quilting and sewing threads.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To clarify the results: they both came out looking like the bottom purple-y ones in the 2nd picture, above.

      Delete
  12. wow you really did get a lot done!! bet that feels good!! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wondered what the spools were. I put mine in a large ziploc bag until full then sell them cheaply in my booth for those who make crafts using them. How do you wash fabric without it raveling?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow , you are really organized!! I am getting there, I got distracted with the sewing! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got a lot done, Bonnie! I tend to just throw my empty spools away as I don't do crafts anymore. If they were wooden I might save them, though! So, the color catchers, which did you like using best? Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.