Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Say Hello to Rainbow Parade!

Remember all that secret sewing I was doing a week or so ago?  It's time to unveil it.  And, boy-howdy! I'm excited about it. I had so much fun working on this quilt. It currently is hanging with pride in the entry way of our house. 


Isn't it gorgeous? (Ok I'm am totally biased but I love it.) The design is by Preeti Harris who blogs at Sew Preeti Quilts. She called me to see if I would test a pattern and share it with the world through my blog. Well why not. I've made several tops that she has designed so I knew it would be well written. (See Synergy I tested for her in April 2022 here.) 

When I first saw the pattern I realized it was a perfect pattern to use some fabric I had hand dyed years ago. It was, with one little issue... I didn't trust it not to bleed. And, I was right. So every fabric had a long, leisurely bath in my bathroom sink. Several times.  Eventually they all were dry and  ready to be ironed and find a place in the quilt. You might notice what Preeti designed was bigger and used more colors than mine. I worked with a very limited collection of fabrics and many were barely half yard pieces. So I improvised. And, this pattern definitely is easy to improvise.


I chose a light silver grey Kona solid. I wanted the colors to be the main focus. 

I had a hard time deciding which quilting pattern I would use on my Rainbow Parade.  Finally, it dawned on me that I didn't want the quilting to take precedence over the wonderful design and colors. I used a  stipple pattern that was included with my robotics.  It was perfect for letting the design and colors shine. 


A few more thoughts on this pattern -- it is easy to make. The blocks are 13" finished so you don't need lots to have a decent size quilt. Mine is about 44.5" x 57" and is set 3 x 4.  The pattern is set 4 x 5 and measures 57" x 70".  

Preeti did a great job with detailing what you need to make this rainbow quilt. She wrote it so each color is repeated in the next diagonal row. My lack of lots of fabric made it impossible for me to do it that way. But, it worked out just fine any way. Talk about versatile! 

I would like to make it again using a print fabric where the darker fabric is in my version. I make a lot of kid centric quilts and this pattern could highlight a cute novelty fabric really well. I could use one color for all of the light parts or use a rainbow of fabrics again. I could also see this as a patriotic fabric using the same concepts as for the novelty fabric. 

Have you started thinking about what fabric you want to use to make this pattern?  Rainbow Parade is in Preeti's Etsy shop now. And, even better, it will be 20% off until March 12. Check it out here: https://sewpreetiquilts.etsy.com/listing/1690533725/rainbow-parade-quilt-pattern-beginner

Would you like to win a digital copy of this pattern?  One lucky commenter will win. Make sure you add an email address if you don't have it attached to your name.  

More accurate colors 
 


Would you like some hand dyes to play with yourself?  I'm offering a give away of 4 fat quarters of fabric I hand dyed. I promise they will all have a spa day in my bathroom sink until the dye quits rinsing out. Limited to the US. One comment will get you a chance at both the hand dye and the Rainbow Parade pattern. Again, make sure your email is attached to your name.  

Here are the hand dyes I'll be sending out. Hum, it isn't smart to try to take pictures in the middle of the night and expect the colors to come out correctly.  The top one is a slightly blue green. The second one is actually what I'd call flamingo pink. The next one is a medium blue - not a grey blue. And the last is mauve.  (I might have purchased that piece as it isn't the same greige goods.)  Update -- the bigger picture is more accurate but I think the colors are a bit brighter. I left the night picture in just to show the contrast.   


The other thing that happened to my great surprise and happiness is I had a leftover backing that worked well with the rainbow concept. I actually had loaded this backing and was going to put another top on it when I realized it would work for Rainbow Parade. Kismet! 

Want to see more versions of Rainbow Parade? Preeti lined up an international group of quilters to help her out.  Check out these blogs to see more Rainbow Parade quilts. 





I'll be linking with the following Linky parties (when they come on line.)  


One last look at my Rainbow Parade. 


Hum...all through making this quilt I thought of the red/pink block as being the top.  And here I hung this one upside down! (Or not!) 

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

22 comments:

  1. Love the transparency you got with your lovely hand died fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hand-dyed fabrics worked beautifully in this fantastic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rainbow parade is lovely and I like your ideas to switch it up a bit...very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a beautiful quilt! You chose just the right background fabric to make the blocks shine! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes - the hand dyed fabrics are perfect for this! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All those colors parading around in this quilt looks like Spring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is definitely gorgeous, Bonnie! Perfect for your hand-dyed fabrics. I love that backing, too! Thanks for the giveaway - I have made one of Preeti's patterns and definitely enjoyed the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, your choice of hand dyed fabrics is just perfect. Love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed seeing your version of Preeti's fun pattern, Bonnie! I like to see the versatility and you delivered! Your backing choice is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute pattern! I have hand dyes I bought when I first started quilting (a LONG time ago) and never used - might have to dig them out. I should probably check them for bleeding also, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really fun finish! Love the rainbow colors in this one. Definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hand dyed fabrics are wonderful, and perfect for the Preeti's lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute pattern test, Bonnie! Off to visit the other participants...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think it matters which way you hang this quilt and your hand dyed fabrics are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, you had me at "kid-centric" and yes indeed did I start thinking of what fabric I'd use to make this!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely way to showcase your hand dyes! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/06/wednesday-wait-loss-370

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am enjoying seeing the versions of Preeti's pattern. Yours is fabulous! What a great and cheerful thing to hang in the entry way of your house. And wow, that backing really is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love working with hand dyed fabric, but you are right about getting all the die out before using the fabric. Your quilt is adorable. Thanks, odiane 79 @yahoo .com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun! And it is such a nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun springy version!!! I bet you love to look at it each time you come in thr house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love a rainbow quilt and your hand dyed fabric is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome quilt, Bonnie!!! Love the hand dyed fabrics! Good call on the panto!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.