Sunday, January 7, 2018

January OMG Choice

I'm squeaking in just before the deadline for the January OMG.  I couldn't decide what to work on and then BOOM, it hit.  I have a brown bag challenge quilt to get done -- in a month or so.  Not that I haven't had the fabric for 6+ months. I believe the challenge is called "The Alphabet Challenge."  I've been considering it in the back of my head for a while.  In fact, I bought the cutest white on white alphabet fabric to use.  

My first thought was to do various sports letters to look somewhat like a crossword puzzle.  Um, too many letters are repeats -- lots of balls involved.  Plus when I went to the stash all the sports themed fabric I thought I had came down to one small piece of fabric that wouldn't fit the size I wanted to make the blocks.  Toss that idea. 

Next up was dog theme.  Checked the stash and yep, I have dog themed fabrics.  (The blues on the left, bottom and right came in the bag.  Not big pieces and not much variety.) I can augment from the stash. 

On to words -- well why not dog talk: yip, arf, bark, woof.  You get the idea.  So I decided to try the design in EQ and see how big it could be and how many blocks I would need. 
Ok.  Decided that would work once I changed the four patches from all blue to blue and white.  I could appliqué the letters on the white parts and get the results I had in my mind. 

Except my brain continued to work overnight.  I woke up this am and thought perhpaps I'll just put the words on the outside border.  I was planning on using the light fabrics on the bag in the picture above for the letters.  I even have an alphabet to use.  Today I'll refigure the quilt so I can put letters on the border. Hum, maybe I could do a big quilting stitch and just stitch the words.  More to consider...after I get the center done. 

So the OMG is to get this top pieced.  If I get it quilted and bound, all the better. It'll be displayed at the FCQ show in the spring and then donated to Project Linus.   

Are you living in the frozen zone?  The last two days the morning temp has been 0º.  Yep, you read that right. Needless to say the studio is a great place to be right now.  I keep the heat up and stay busy so I'm a happy camper.  We did go out the last few mornings for our normal workouts at the community clubhouse. 

Want to go swimming? 


If you click on the close up it will enlarge and you might be able to see that the fountain in the center is still on and throwing water up.  The ground view of this is what we see as we doing our workouts.  This is very unusual weather for Fredericksburg, Va.  I'm looking forward to later next week when it'll be in the 50's -- maybe the 60's.  

Do you live where the weather can change drastically in  a few days?  

I'm linking up with Elm Street Quilt's One Monthly Goal January link up.  

Happy quilting all!  Bonnie 


7 comments:

  1. You've set up a real challenge for your OMG. I'm eager to see what you come up with. I never think of Virginia getting that cold. Here in NY we woke up to minus 11 this morning. I definitely agree with you, this is sewing weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much of the alphabet do you have to use? When our guild did an alphabet challenge we interpreted a single letter. I did C is for chicken. I used as much of my chicken fabric as I could, plus made blocks with chicken names (like hens and chicks) and appliqued a few funky chickens, too. Oh, and I also quilted some eggs in the larger squares. The only rule we had was the letter had to appear somewhere in the quilt. It's the quilt in my avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brown bag challenge is getting your creative juices flowing. I'd be hard pressed to even find suitable fabric in my stash. Your plan sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize that puppy/tennis shoe fabric!! I put it in Larry's quilt. Pretty sure we got that on our trip to MaryJo's!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a dog themed quilt with doggie words spelled out somewhere! Maybe just one big WOOF across the middle would be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've got a great plan for the challenge. Good luck with your January OMG. Temps in Oklahoma can change on a dime. We were very cold last week like you were, thankfully we avoided any of the frozen precipitation the east coast got. Hopefully you've thawed out a little since then.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.