Monday, May 30, 2022

Monday Meanderings 5 - 30 - 2022

May we remember our friends, neighbors and family who joined the military to help defend all of us. 

Credit: "Official photograph U.S.Navy
My dad, Robert A. Rowe served in the Navy for 30 years.  He was a member of the first Naval ROTC unit from the University of Southern California.  He did not graduate from USC because he went off to World War II. He served in the Korean and Viet Nam wars.  Luckily for my family he came home from all the wars. He retired in 1973 to live in California.  

Although Memorial Day is to remember those who died to keep America free, I thought I'd add this small tribute to my dad for his many years of service. 

Now on to my regular blog post. A whirl wind week is finished.  I'm hoping this week will be calmer and more sewing will get done.  Here's what was happening. 

  • One day of recuperation from our weekend in Maryland. 
  • A longer rehearsal for a concert and a concert for our neighborhood given by the Heritage Singers. 
  • A day at the ballpark where the Spotsylvanians sang the Star Spangled Banner for the Fred Hats, a farm team of the Washington Nationals.  

  I'm the 3rd from the left in the back row. Yea, the one with the cap pulled down to keep the sun out of my eyes.  Pat is to my left.  

Ok, that doesn't sound all that busy but it did cut into my sewing time quite a bit. So how badly did it take time away?  Not as bad as it could have been.  Here's what I hoped to accomplish last week. 

5/23/2022

✅Make more blocks for Beth and Fran for FCQ Equilters - ready to be packaged up and get in the mail. 

✅Make some blocks for SAHRR better known as Feathered Star - almost a top.

✅Sash blocks on May UFO -- done and put in the to-be-quilted closet.

✖️Work on pyramid class project -- not even thought about! 


Not too bad.  So this week I want to finish these goals...


5/30/22

Finish SAHRR top — better known as Feathered Star

Work on pyramid class project

Begin working on June UFO challenge - quilt old doggy top 

Mail out blocks for FCQ Equilters and quilts to Hands 2 Help 

Quilt one of my quilts 



Not too long of a list this week.  If I have extra time I may start something new! OH MY! Actually I have a project that I played around with many weeks ago so it might come out instead of a new one.  But, don't hold your breath. 


Here's where the Feathered Star project stands now. 


I have 2 more Shoo Fly blocks cut out and ready to sew.  The top row is actually sewn together except for the corner blocks.  So, I need to sew the other three borders together and sew them all on to the quilt.  At that point I plan to leave it alone for a while.  I have quite a bit of white border before the Shoo Flys that I "could" do some appliqué.  I'll be making that decision eventually.  Part of me wants to just get the darn thing done but I might do a little machine appliqué.  But I'm not committing to it now! 


I'm so late getting this post written I'm going to call it done.  You know the drill.  Please check out these Linky parties to see what folks across the Internet are doing.

Monday Making 

Design Wall Monday

To Do Tuesday 

Wednesday Wait Loss 

Mid-Week Makers 

I was doing pretty well linking up posts after Wednesday last week and then *poof* I failed to link the Wednesday parties until a day or two late.  I'll try to be better this week. 


On this Memorial Day may you remember those who have fallen in service to the United States of America and those who have served and continue to serve. 


Happy Quilting All! Bonnie



6 comments:

  1. Your feathered star project is beautiful. The different borders add so much interest and color. How fun that your group sang at the baseball game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white border just needs some textured quilting - that will add interest without appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your father was certainly a hero, so many wars he served in! I bet your Star Spangled Banner brought lots of applause. You got a lot done in spite of your time away! Any time we are out for errands, no matter how long it takes, it cuts into my sewing time. I have a hard time refocusing in the sewing room.
    Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your feathered star is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely feathered star quilt. That wide border would look lovely with a bit of applique if you choose to do it. Thank you to your father for his service. Handsome man! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to make a feathered star but I sure want to. Yours is going to be very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.