Friday, May 6, 2022

Hip! Hip! Hurray! A Finish

 From start to finish this quilt only took 1 and a half years, or 18 months.  That may not be fast to you but it is to me!  You can see the beginning in January, 2021.  I often finish a top and then throw it in the to-be-quilted closet until I can get a backing for it.  

It's about an inch too long as the bottom rests on the top of the mantle. 

Here's a closer view. The blocks were made with Accuquilt's Glorified 9 Patch die and makes a 9" block. The quilt is approximately 44 x 44". 


I ended up having tried two different borders. The one below was the first attempt with several other fabrics also being auditioned. I was able to pull this border out of stash but ugh, it really did nothing for the quilt.  Neither the green or the blue did anything either. 


During the October 2021 retreat I took the top out to a fabric store with Sharon, MB, and Nancy and we found this polka dot fabric that worked perfectly. The polka dots are on a ground of typeset words.


You'll be seeing this same fabric soon as I used it for one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge tops too. I used a classic stipple that is built into the Quiltmagine  software. I tore the length of wide back in halve and loaded this quilt and another one one after another. Hopefully I'll be showing that one to you next Friday. 

And just to show off the rest of the quilt, check out this very cool backing fabric.  I bought this at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show in Feb. 2022.  It will be seen a couple more times as I have enough for 2 more of these smaller quilts with some left over to piece with too.  

This quilt will be living in my house for a while.  It fits nicely about the fireplace where I rotate quilts seasonally.  Although, it really doesn't go with the decor in the room.  I like how bright and fresh it looks so no worries there.  

Time to visit the Linky parties I link up with. Remember to spend some time surfing the various blogs represented here and don't forget to leave comments. 

Needle and Thread Thursday

Finished or Not Friday  

Beauties Pageant 

Enjoy your weekend.  

Happy Quilting All! Bonnie 

7 comments:

  1. I think everything about this quilt works perfectly: the block pattern, the colors, the fabrics, all aspects play well together. It's a bright, beautiful, delightful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie it's beautiful and looks perfect above that pretty fireplace. I love the polka dot border as well as the neat backing fabric. Nice job quilting too - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go! finished is always good and i love the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how the "right" fabric just call out to you? Yep, the right border fabric was the best. Looks good - love the backing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful finish: it is perfect for a splash of Spring color above your fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so fun and bright for spring and summer so you go right ahead and enjoy it!! Congrats on a job well done;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.