Thursday, June 24, 2010


If something can go wrong it will go wrong.

Monday we closed on the house in Powhatan. It went very smoothly -- no problems. We headed out to the house all happy because the driver had said he would be there around 9 am and wait for us. Um, no. He wasn't there by 10:30 or so when we got there. No, 11:30 came and went. He was stuck in traffic on I 95. (note to driver -- leave early to avoid DC morning rush hour or go the back way.)

He finally showed up some time after noon. And then there was the problem getting into the driveway. Or NOT getting into the driveway. The street is narrow, the driveway is narrow and long. He got special permission to drive down our neighbor's driveway and drive over the grass to our driveway. Um, no, street is still narrow ... etc. By about 4 pm we realized NOTHING was coming off the truck on Monday.

We went back to Holiday Inn Express and got the same room. We had some of this. Yum. Sorry it was only half full. Thanks, Kevin. It was great.
Raggs was happy to have his friend Tiger at the hotel room. Well, that and his dinner bowl filled at
the appropriate times.
He was a very good dog while traveling.

However, he was getting tired of all the upheaval in his life. He wanted all of his toys. He want a bowl for water and dinner.

I was ready to get back to doing some sewing. Not yet. Tuesday dawned sunny and bright. A "ferry" truck and the big truck arrived ready for some action. The men loaded up the rental truck, drove it down the driveway and then emptied the contents. Repeat. Several times. Until the kitchen looked like this. Actually, we'd already unloaded some of the stuff by the time I took this picture.
Now the kitchen looks like this. Not perfect but most stuff is put away. Notice the new refrigerator. (with magnets...!) When it was brought in they didn't set it up correctly. Everytime I opened the door the whole refrigerator moved 6 to 10". What? Pat figured out they hadn't put the legs down ... or some such thing. Now just the door opens.
Pat set up the two guest rooms. Kids are coming to visit 4th of July weekend.
The great room is set up and in use.
I even have cut some roses and arranged them. We have several floribunda roses in our new gardens. I will really enjoy cutting roses and placing them around the house. They don't last really long -- these are already gone & I picked them yesterday.
Tomorrow we're going out to change our driver's licenses and, I think, car registrations. We'll do a bit more shopping. Then I'll deal with my shoes. When did I get so many shoes? And, where will I put them all?
I'm hoping to spend an hour or two up in the studio tomorrow also. It is totally buried in boxes. And, I'm not sure how I am going to store everything if the truth be known. I'll keep you posted.

Happy Quilting


  1. It's looking great so far, and I love your blog header photo!

  2. Yay! So glad it is almost over for you. I bet you need to get some stitching in to keep your sanity!!

  3. Wow, I'm impressed with how quickly you are putting the house in order. You will have everything in its place in no time at all.

  4. OSAAT - One step at a time, but it appears you're making excellent progress!!! Don't overdue - that's what I learned! The last move we made (at age 58 and 61), I wore a pedometer, and at the end of the day, had walked 11 miles!!! Wow, no wonder a person gets exhausted with moving.


Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.