Monday, May 11, 2015

Design Wall Monday 5 - 11 - 2015

A very busy week has passed.  I'm hoping I can start having some more "boring" weeks soon.  Hum, probably not happening for a while.  But you can be assured I will be having fun!

Aimee was out of town so I stayed with Kevin for a couple of days to help get Ellie to daycare and a little meal help.  They just moved into a new home the week end before I went up.  It's a bit closer if the traffic on 95 cooperates.   I was impressed with how much they had gotten unpacked in 4 days. They are both still figuring out commute times.  Kevin's should be shorter while Aimee's should be the same.  

The full day I spent with Kevin I spent sewing off and on.  I finished the blocks for the table runner. And once home I got them together and added the triangles and border.  The runner has been balled up and stuffed in various containers over the last few days so looks very wrinkled.  I hope to get it quilted in the next week.  The block is Quatrefoil and the directions are here -- a video  by Missouri Star Quilt Company on You Tube.  I need to figure out a better way of doing the triangles on the ends.  
Sharon and I got to my house about the same time Thursday afternoon after we met at Crazy Cousins in Fredericksburg.  We had another sewing weekend with a class on Saturday. As usual Sharon got lots done and I got my fabrics cut for Saturday, got the borders on the table runner and got organized for the guild meeting.  

At the class we learned to use The V Block Trimmer by Deb Tucker from Studio 180 Design.  I'de used it before as I bought it at one of the shows. But, WOW! This works like a charm to make accurate blocks. You cut the center V using one of the lines.  Then with fabric strips right sides together you cut the two side pieces at the same time.  Sewing it together is incredibly easy because there isn't any guessing where to line the pieces up.  AMAZING.  The final trim up makes sure that the 1/4" seam is always there.  No cut off points.  I'm betting I'll get this to top stage fairly soon because I like it so much.  The pattern is Galaxy designed by Deb also. 

As usual, Sharon got more done than I did. Here's hers. Love that secondary pattern that looks like a circle with no curved piecing! 
And mine. (Our blocks are the same size but mine appears larger probably due to the cropping of the photo.) 
I spent part of last evening cutting more pieces and marking the half square triangles.  I have time for sewing today -- looking forward to finishing some more of these blocks.  Surprisingly they sew up quite fast.  And, can I just add here?  I LOVE my colors.  Wait until you see the border I picked for it. Can I just mention I did not choose anything that looked like the cover picture on the pattern! 

Here's the goal list for last week.  What you don't see is "make the table runner" shown above.  It took time away from Love Shack. 
Week of May 4, 2015
Finish customer’s baby quilt on Ruthie
Cut out Galaxy quilt and attend class
Spend time helping Kevin
Get Love Shack to top worked on but not a top yet... 
Have fun with Sharon visiting this weekend

And, for this coming week -- 
Week of May 11, 2015
Trim antique quilt
Make and apply binding to antique quilt
Work on Galaxy blocks
Work on Love Shack
Have fun at the beach

I'll be linking up with Patchwork Times and Love Laugh Quilt. Enjoy browsing the web for lots of quilty ideas. 

Happy Quilting All! 
  

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, my comment disappeared when I had to log in to google. Hopefully this isn't a repeat!

    Both colour ways are gorgeous. The fake circles are wonderful.

    I love Deb's rulers and have quite a collection. I got the corner pop at mid-atlantic but I haven't had chance to really use it yet.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the new blocks! I love the sense of movement in the secondary design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I just bought the V Block ruler and the Galaxy pattern last week. I can't wait to try it but it's going to be a while yet. Love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is lovely as always.

    Your work is Adorable as always

    look like Sindhi Quilt


    Leather Jackets

    auscorp

    leather jackets

    ReplyDelete
  5. A member of our guild is a Tucker instructor. She holds workshops once a month, though I've never been able to attend. Thanks for your endorsement of this ruler. I'm tempted....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty in all color ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are lovely choices, but I do have to admit a preference for anything purple!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both versions of Galaxy look great. I've always loved the secondary pattern you get with that block combo. It's on my bucket list for some day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I made that same pattern earlier this spring, only it had a different name. Yours turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.