Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What Was I Thinking??

I took a UFO to the Wednesday quilt group along with a block of the year I wanted to do, a few parts of another block and my leaders/enders string quilt blocks.  So, the UFO is a paper pieced miniature.  OH MY GOODNESS!  The darn thing is 2" with 36 pieces.  Now you understand the headline: What Was I Thinking???  I got the block of the year done, I got the few parts of another block done, I did a couple of rows on the string blocks.  But, YUCK that darn little paper piecing thing nearly did me in.  I had one in process and thought I was at round #22.  After I had sewn up to 24 I realized I was really at 19!  Out came miniscule stitches.  I think by the end of the day I was on number 27 on one block and  #4 on the next block I started.  I didn't even finish one block from lunch time on!  

This quilt was a kit I bought from George Siciliano in his class Size Really Does Matter. Here's the info on the class with a picture of what mine will look like in a thousand years, or there about. George's miniature quilt.  And here is George and Virginia's home page. 

George has won various awards at many of the major shows.  His work is meticulous and from looking at his web site he is still doing wonderful things with his log cabins. 

I'm not sure I would recommend these classes unless you really are into  details. (hey, accountants out there -- this is for you!) But George and Virginia are a lot of fun and they do a great job teaching.  The hand outs are wonderful also.  The only reason I can even try to do this is because of the guides included in the handouts. 

Tomorrow I have another sewing day and into the evening.  We've been invited to spend the night but I am just not a sleep-on-the-floor gal if I have a choice.  (Plus, they might throw me out in the middle of the night because of a little log sawing I might do!  Nah, they are too nice to do that but... ) I'll report tomorrow on whether I actually make it through one of the blocks. (Come on it's only 2" how hard can it be??) I have purposely stopped at round 34 because I haven't decided what color I want to do that diagonal line.  In the past I've been able to work for 3 or 4 rounds and then it drives me crazy. Let's see if I can work on it a whole day.  I will be bringing a quilt that I am hand quilting on too.  Happy quilting all.  Bonnie  

3 comments:

  1. Bonnie--we had our first 'young quilters club' meeting last night and your blog was on display! We can't believe this penny-sized project. Thanks for the inspiration!! :) Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - that stuff is CRAZY TINY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...that is really tiny!
    And I love miniature quilts, but that is even too small for me!
    But gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.